Jehovah's Witness barred from making decisions for comatose wife

by Justitia Themis 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

bttt

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

JOHNSON COUNTY, Iowa -- A Jehovah's Witness who would not allow blood transfusions for his comatose wife has been barred from making her medical decisions.

The man claimed their religion prohibited the sharing of blood.

Tawnya Nissen's father, Richard Reid Jr., sought temporary guardianship of his daughter and a Johnson County judge agreed.

Nissen, 28, of Clinton, will now be under the guardianship of her father until she can make her own decisions.

Nissen has been in a coma for about two weeks after a reaction to diet pills.

Doctors say her condition is improving but she may not be able to communicate for about six months.

The judge said she ruled against the husband in order to protect Nissen's life.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I have not been on Lee Elder's JW Blood Site, but I hope his org. has noticed this.

• love11
    love11

Oh that is so sad....but luckly the father still wants his daughter to live.

• Mary
    Mary
    A Jehovah's Witness who would not allow blood transfusions for his comatose wife has been barred from making her medical decisions. The man claimed their religion prohibited the sharing of blood.

Ya, it's always better to have your wife die rather than disobey senile old men.......

Tawnya Nissen's father, Richard Reid Jr., sought temporary guardianship of his daughter and a Johnson County judge agreed. Nissen, 28, of Clinton, will now be under the guardianship of her father until she can make her own decisions.

EXCELLENT!!!

The more this type of thing is exposed, along with the WT's faulty reasoning on why they forbid blood transfusions, the better. I hope she makes a full recovery and finds out her hubby was willing to let her die. Maybe it'll bring her to her senses.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A tragic case , especially if they have young child . One hopes that all can be satisfied now that any blood based treatment will be her fathers say so, and not on her husband's conscience. Did her father have any witness connection? I wonder.

Personally I do recognize an adult's right to chose . If the state were given carte blanch to medicate us , where would we be? This situation could potentially be faced by any of us that have wives who are active dubs. I do know that I have made a decision to support my wife's "no blood" decision should that situation arise. In our case she has been a witness for decades and I know for a certainty what her wishes would be.

Every case is different though . I would not advocate that for everybody, perhaps this girl's mother is right about her and knows that she would not stand out against it.???

Also it seemed a very strange case

Nissen has been in a coma for about two weeks after a reaction to diet pills.Nissen has been in a coma for about two weeks after a reaction to diet pills.

Can any of our medically trained people say whether this is as rare as it sounds? And what kind of blood treatment would they be proposing? She does not appear to have suffered blood loss.

Lets just hope that she gets better....

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Interesting case, especially since the family says that she is NOT a JW. That would invalidate any medical directive. The only way to prove that she is a JW is to subpoena her publisher record card. How much do you want to bet that this one won't be appealed?

• Mary
    Mary
    BlueBrother said: Personally I do recognize an adult's right to chose . If the state were given carte blanch to medicate us , where would we be?

I agree with you. To a certain extend. Adults should have the right to choose what medicine they'll accept, but we all know full well that Witnesses do not make the choice to refuse a blood transfusion out of their own understanding. It's forced upon them by the Organization on pain of disfellowshippment if they don't refuse. So to me, that's not much of a choice. It's like a burglar holding a knife to your throat, demanding your wallet and then claiming in court that you voluntarily gave him your money.

• sweetsevda
    sweetsevda

i really dont think thats right for them to do that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit