Focus Groups and Interviews of Jehovah's Witnesses

by JW_Researcher 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Being invited to the memorial is an indication that you are not dead... maybe.

And, since when is the memorial a "dinner". I suspect he didn't go, or he would know better.

The whole thing looks like he is being set up by the congregation to write a puff piece about them.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

There was a directive to call Legal on something like this. Probably because of situations like this. One can be sure that only 'spiritually strong" JWs were interviewed. And probably with an elder present. Which means this guy learned little.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Can you post the whole dissertation? Would be interesting. I don't think a doctoral dissertation would in any way resemble a puff piece.
    S4

• karen96
    karen96

Memorial invitations are given to anyone interested in attending. I can't believe this elder had the society's backing when he agreed to have his cong participate. And, as stated, I'm sure he only provided access to firmly entrenched believers.

Karen

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    RunningMan wrote: The whole thing looks like he is being set up by the congregation to write a puff piece about them.

The data collection definitely looks fishy. It is not a "puff piece" really...it is a scholarly work...I just was intrigued by the data collection methods, which as I wrote, didn't match my experience.

Also the naiveté of someone to use 'I was invited to the Memorial' as a sign of acceptance.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    Can you post the whole dissertation? Would be interesting. I don't think a doctoral dissertation would in any way resemble a puff piece.

S4

You are correct that it is, in fact, a scholarly work. If you are interested in the dissertation, please PM me and we can make arrangements. It is in PDF and is 9.5 MB.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    And, as stated, I'm sure he only provided access to firmly entrenched believers.

Karen

There wasn't a bad comment from the publishers to be found. Surprised? J

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    " I attended weekly theocratic meetings and a District Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses"

Who talks like that ?

Sounds like a jw or someone previously exposed to it - an independent would say something like "weekly religious meetings" - it sounds like an influenced use of language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit