Focus Groups and Interviews of Jehovah's Witnesses

by JW_Researcher 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

The following quote is found in a Ph.D. dissertation that purports to have secured permission from the congregational overseer to conduct interviews and focus groups with congregation members.

This research was conducted in the USA. This never would have happened in any of the Halls I attended.

Also notice what is given to support the claim that he was accepted (below).

Any dissenting or corroborating comments welcome.

”The interviewees…were Jehovah’s Witnesses…I took steps to establish a good relationship with the congregation members. I attended weekly theocratic meetings and a District Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I was forthright with members before and during interviews as to my purpose for attending meetings and taping interview sessions. An indication of the level of established relationship was an invitation to their Memorial Dinner – the only (emphasis in original) day celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses.”
  • daniel-p
    daniel-p

"An indication of the level of established relationship was an invitation to their Memorial Dinner – the only (emphasis in original) day celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses"

So the level he attained is the same as about 10 million others who are coerced into going by family members or friends. I don't call that an established relationship at all. But it should be interesting to read, of course.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    I don't call that an established relationship at all.

I agree. The fact that the author is not aware that nearly everyone who has any interest in the JWs is invited to the Memorial is suspicious.

Would your congregation have allowed over 40 taped interviews and focus groups? He reports that they were convened in the private rooms in the back of the Hall.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***I took steps to establish a good relationship with the congregation members.***

The poor schmuck. He wasted all that time and effort trying to understand JWs. He could have saved himself a lot of trouble by checking here first to find out the meaning of "theocratic warfare."

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    He could have saved himself a lot of trouble by checking here first to find out the meaning of "theocratic warfare."

I agree. I saw a presentation about ethnographic research done with the Masai (Maasai) people of Eastern Africa. After the presentation a lady from Ghana explained (in a nutshell) that one of the problems with the study was that the Masai will tell you what they think you want to hear.

If, in fact, the JWs allowed taped interviews in the back of the Hall, then it was to indoctrinate the researcher.

And the whole piece about 'I was invited to the Memorial so I know they accepted me' defies my experience as a JW.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Awww, sheesh. Wasn't there a directive against that? I can't imagine a CO getting clearance to submit to forty taped interviews.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    Wasn't there a directive against that?

Thanks for the idea.

I will check the BOE letters to see if this was ever addressed. I know Czatt was called an 'agent of Satan' or something for trying to secure surveys in the 1930s or so.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some noteworty announcements from the society:

*** km 1/02 p. 7 Announcements ***

Researchers and others have contacted a number of brothers, seeking information about Jehovah’s Witnesses and our organization. They have requested that survey forms be completed, supplying answers to questions related to our beliefs and teachings. If such individuals approach a congregation publisher, he should provide the name of the presiding overseer. The elders can handle such inquiries and make an appropriate response based on a letter addressed to all bodies of elders, dated April 25, 2001.

BOE April 25, 2001, excerpts http://www.reexamine.org/BOE/2001-04-25.pdf

Since there is a need to be careful about the nature of surveys and how such infomation will be used, we are providing direction for a qualified elder representing the congregation to follow, provided your congregation is asked to participate in such a survey.

The elder could provide such researchers with a copy of the brochure Jehovah's Witnesses - Who Are They? What Do They Believe? (other resources are mentioned, such as the Reasoning book and the public website).

This approach is far more advantageous in giving a witness and providing information than h aving various members of the congregation taking the time needed to fill out survey forms carefully and accurately. While in some instances we can cooperate with research projects including surveys-we certainly want to avoid having publishers expressing personal viewpoints that may not be in line with the Bible principles that really govern each Christian's conduct and the united efforts of the brotherhood to carry out Jehovah's will.

If researchers or others approach elders seekinging information and some issues come up about which the elders are not certain, they should not make any commitments. Rather, these inquiries should be referred to the Service Department, at the address above, for attention.

Thank you reexamine!

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Thank you for posting this.

The dissertation was in 1995 so these directives were after that date. However, the directives certainly mirror what was my individual experience in the different congregations I attended and Bethel.

Do you think the claim 'the fact that they invited me to the Memorial shows I was accepted' has much merit?

We often invited any interested or marginally interested individuals.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pah. My JW hubby invites anything that breathes to the Memorial. NOW if the researcher were invited to attend an elder's meeting, THAT would have been impressive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit