COFFINS in the Kingdumb hall.....

by kid-A 19 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

I recall going to several JW funerals as a small kid where the coffin had been brought into the hall, a service that must have been provided by

the funeral parlour. However, since the early 80s, I have never again attended a JW funeral with a casket present in the hall. Has anyone?

Did the WTS change some formal policy about this? Is there now an "anti-coffin" policy in effect for JW funerals?

Certainly vitually all other religious funerals I have attended had the casket brought to the church, and

either opened or closed during the eulogy.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Interesting, I have had the same experience. Now I don't see any Memorial services at the Hall unless the person draws a crowd. Like 200 or more.

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

Yes.... they still do that in the UK....i went to one last year like that

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

The casket was in the hall at the front but unopened

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've been to a lot of JW funerals, and the body of the deceased was only at 2 of them. Neither of these 2 had "memorials" in the kingdom hall - only in the funeral home. One of the funerals was not of a JW, but the husband of a "study". My PO gave the talk. The other was the funeral of an elderly woman who was a JW who lived in a seniors home. You could count the JWs in attendance on 2 hands. I went in support of the family, though I didn't know the woman. At the last minute I was asked to be a pallbearer because there weren't enough people who knew her there. So there was a total of 2 JW pallbearers - the rest were funeral home employees.

But I've never seen or heard of a coffin in a kingdom hall.

W

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

And having been brought up in the WT seeing the casket go by me in the hall made me feel uneasy and a little nervous....even though i had seen his lifeless body in the hospital bed........very sad!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

All the J W funerals that I attended (including one that I conducted ) were held at the non denominational chapel at the local crematorium . I heard of one held at the graveside as it was a burial .

More recently my wife attended a Kingdom Hall memorial service. I am told that the coffin was there at the hall, closed.

(I wonder if they counted him into the attendance figure?)

• KW13
    KW13

it never happened at our hall, i'd be a bit freaked out lol

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I've only been to one funeral where the coffin was at the KH. This was about 12 years ago.

Any other funeral - if there was a visitation, the coffin was at the funeral home, memorial service at the KH.

It was a bit of a shock to see the casket there, and stand quietly while it was being wheeled out, then the graveside burial. I'd never experienced something like that before.

BB

• agapa37
    agapa37

I have been to several funerals in the last several yrs of brothers and sisters where the caskets were brought into the Kingdom Hall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit