I have trust issues , but what do you think about this ....

by troubled mind 28 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

The Reverend down the street has made friends with my son ...... Yesterday we came down hard on our 18 yr old son because he has not gotten a job since graduation , and can not pay for his share of the cell phone or car insurance . So we took these privileges away until he can pay . Well he must of went over to the Rev's last night and the guy offered to give him $100. to cover his bills ! Happily my son refused the offer . So the Rev said he would hire him for some odd jobs like painting and yard work ect. I don't know what to think of this ....the guy is really charasmatic , but I have a really hard time trusting anyone . Is it gullible to think he is genuinely just a nice guy? Am I right to be cynical ?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes - be cynical - and cautious.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

You are right to be cynical but I would suggest that there are genuine people around; that being the case I think that educating your son will provide him with some protection or at least the ability to make informed choices; he is 18 afterall!

Db74

• Warlock
    Warlock

tm

Is your son looking for work, either full or part time? Is he going to, or planning to go, to college? The reason I ask, is why would he do odd jobs for someone instead of getting a job with a company?

Warlock

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

He has spent the summer traveling with a band as their mechandize and stage tech . We told him that was okay for summer , but come August he had to get a real job . I think he is holding onto the pipedream that the band will make the big time and will be able to afford paying him full time . I really don't think that's going to happen so we are trying to get him to face the facts . He had been working in a construction job through school , but his employer just moved out of state at the end of school year .

• Warlock
    Warlock

Just for your info,

I was a musician and regret not taking the path your son seems to want to take. If he wants to stay in that business, maybe he could continue to find fill in work until the band makes it, or he finds another band that will. He might just do well, since he's young and has some time.

Then he can buy you a new house, or at least pay for your nursing home care.

Warlock

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

You lost me at "pipedream".

(That could be where you are losing him too.)

• 4JWY
    4JWY

"Some people would see them as risk-takers,

but to not pursue your dreams,

that would be the greatest risk of all."

(unknown author)

JW's were the dashers of hopes and dreams.

I wish your son the best as he follows his interests.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

That is his idea right now is to find fill in work for awhile . They have tour dates booked for a week in October and he wants to be free to go again with them .

Last summer he played drums in a band of his witness friends, but of course that was really frowned upon and the others gave up under the pressure .That's how he met the band he is with now . We are amazed at the tenacity our son has to things he wants to do .

I really want him to succeed . My husband and I never pursued our dreams because of being JW's , and I do not want that for him . On the other hand we are both hard working individuals, and it kills me seeing him not working at a job everyday.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I guess it is just a life style we are not use to yet, and it will take adjustments . By pipedream I mean there are so many bands out there trying to make it and the precentage that do is very small . I want him to be able to take care of himself .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit