Wikipedia on Witnesses (Huh?)

by MsMcDucket 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Has anyone read this section about Witnesses? The Tower is tricky isn't it?

Unfulfilled predictions

Individual Jehovah’s Witnesses have made predictions over the years regarding specific dates and events that have not come to pass. These predictions were never supported by the Governing Body or the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. In particular, the common prediction that Armageddon would occur in 1975 was pro-actively denounced by the Society. Nevertheless, some have accused Jehovah's Witnesses collectively of being false prophets.

The religion's publications have clearly stated that it does not claim to be inspired by God, or that the interpretations given are infallible. [50] It is believed that God’s spirit directs his organisation to uncover scriptural truths over time and that mistakes can be made only to be refined and improved upon over time.

Critics and even the groups own members have often misunderstood discussion of certain dates. For example, some critics have claimed Jehovah's Witnesses stated the Second Coming of Christ would happen in 1914. In fact, the Witnesses' claim was that Satan was cast down to earth in 1914 as Christ began to prepare for Armageddon and the Second Coming; and they offered (still do) the start of the First World War as proof that Satan was indeed cast down to earth at that time.

To read the whole thing go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_regarding_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses#Blood

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

lol, I'm sure it's the same goofy apologist shit on the Mormon, Scientology, Moonie pages

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I spent a lot of time writing information for Wikipedia. I ended up stopping because it upset me too much when Watchtower supports would delete what I had written a put lies like that on there. Anyone can change it, so it is worth updating those paragraphs.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The article was so dihonest that i have changed it to the following

==Unfulfilled predictions==
    The Watchtower has made predictions over the years regarding specific dates and events that have not come to pass, most significantly being that Armageddon was going to arrive in 1914, and later that the resurrection onto earth was to happen in 1925.

The religion's publications have stated that it does not claim to be inspired by God, or that the interpretations given are infallible. <ref>"The care of God’s organisation today is not in the hands of men that are inspired by God. They can make mistakes as any imperfect man can." The Watchtower, 15 December 1962 </ref> It is believed that God’s spirit directs his organisation to uncover scriptural truths over time and that mistakes can be made only to be refined and improved upon over time. Nevertheless, Jehovah's Witnesses are encouraged what is presented in the Watchtower as "the word of God". (Watchtower 1957 June 15 p.370) Any open disagreement with current Watchtower teachings is considered Apostasy and a disfellowshipping offence.
    Prior to 1914 it was said that [[Armageddon]] was going to occur on October 2nd 1914. For instance The Time Is At Hand (1889) 1908 ed. p.99 stated “In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A. D. 1914.”

Millions Now Living Will Never Die p.88 stated that 1925 was to be "resurrection of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful ones of old.” The Watch Tower 1922 September 1 p.262 "The date 1925 is even more distinctly indicated by the Scriptures because it is fixed by the law God gave to Israel. Viewing the present situation in Europe, one wonders how it will be possible to hold back the explosion much longer; and that even before 1925 the great crisis will be reached and probably passed.”

The prediction that [[Armageddon]] would occur in [[1975]] was never specifically stated but implied in a number of articles. The confusion surrounding 1975 started with an announcement by the Governing Body that, according to their Biblically-based calculations, the year 1975 marked the end of 6,000 years of human history - i.e., the Adam was created 6,000 years earlier. Beyond that, the official organs and publications of the Witnesses said nothing. But this date was taken by many people as the year during which Armageddon would occur, and it spurred thousands of people to join Jehovah's Witnesses - only to leave after 1975 came and went, and nothing happened. The only things the Governing Body ''did'' say about 1975 during this period in the Witnesses' history were, 1) that they had never said ''anything'' about Christ's second coming happening in 1975, and 2) that Witnesses should remember that Christ said his kingdom would not come when everyone was expecting, but when it was ''least'' expected -- so it almost certainly ''not'' be 1975.

Critics contend that the Watchtower has claimed to be a "prophet" in the past and continues to expect members of Jehovah’s Witnesses to accept their guidance,without question, which demonstrates a similar position today. <ref>"This “prophet” was not one man, but was a body of men and women… Today they are known as Jehovah’s Christian witnesses… Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a “prophet” of God. It is another to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?" The Watchtower 'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them' April 1 1972 p.197 </ref> <ref> "Whom has God actually used as his prophet?... Jehovah's witnesses are deeply grateful today that the plain facts show that God has been pleased to use them. ... It has been because Jehovah thrust out his hand of power and touched their lips and put his words in their mouths..." The Watchtower 'Down with the Old—Up with the New!' January 15 1959 pp.39-41 </ref> <ref>Buttrey, John M (2004). ''Let No One Mislead You''. iUniverse. ISBN 0595307108 </ref> <ref>Waldeck, Val ''Jehovah’s Witnesses: What do they believe?''. Pilgrim Publications SA. ISBN 1920092080 </ref>

Witnesses view these charges as fundamentally flawed, and deceitful, in that they apply a meaning to a word not intended by the given contexts.<ref>"Clearly there is a considerable difference made in the writings of Jehovah's Witnesses between the guidance given to those men who wrote the Holy Scriptures, and the guidance one gains from reading those Scriptures. Thus, it does not matter in what sense others use the word "guidance" in relation to Watchtower writings; the key concern is how do Jehovah's Witnesses use the term in relation to themselves, and in relation to the direction given by God to the Bible writers...To use the same terms, and then apply different meanings to them in an attempt to criticize Jehovah's Witnesses, is not charitable." Stafford, Jehovah's Witnesses Defended II, pg. 486.</ref> The criticism implies the meaning of "direct divine revelation" to the word "prophet" despite the context in which the Watchtower Society presents it: interpretation of prophetic biblical passages, and "acting as a prophet" by relaying that interpretation.<ref>"We can see that the proof offered in support of their contention that they acted like a "prophet" for God did not involve the proclamation of inspired messages that originated with them; rather, "preaching the good news of God's kingdom," and "explaining [emphasis added] the book of Ezekiel as well as that of Revelation" is how they act like a prophet for God." Stafford, Jehovah's Witnesses Defended II, pg. 474.</ref>

• moshe
    moshe

They sure must have some people working fulltime in the legal department revising it back to what is acceptable to GB. There are more of us than them!

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

That's just sickening. Thank you for correcting it. I've been on there too, but I can see that I'll have to revisit that section.
    Shawn

• avengers
    avengers
    Jehovah's Witnesses as an organisation have NEVER made predictions as to dates; those were made by individuals acting in concert)

But is it realy a laughing matter? Here's a question for these lying leaders:

Andy

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

In a 48 period i edited corrections 4 times and it was deleted in less then 30 mins that doesn't mean we should relent however.

all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men women to do nothing-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

pro-actively denounced

pro-actively

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

jwfacts, moshe, avenger, Dannyhazard, et. al. thanks for your determination to expose the truth about the truth. I guess the Governing Body must call it "spiritual warfare" when they go to Wikipedia and edit out the real history about the organization.

I just don't understand how people don't catch on to the "new light theory". I mean why would GOD send the wrong light in the first place? Well, I guess that I do understand. . .I was thoroughly mislead at one point and time, too! I was really scared to challenge anything that came from The Tower, and I was afraid to disagree with the elders or any other dub for that matter. I was scared witless and sh*tless! I am so ashamed of myself!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit