What are you reading - Summer 2006?

by eyeslice 37 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Always a popular thread – the what are you reading at the moment thread?

My favourite reads for the summer of 2006:

The History of Love by Nicole KraussIn many ways a sad story of a talented Jewish writer left totally alone in the world after the holocaust. A must read.

Gilead by Marilynne RobinsonI just loved this gentle story of a truly good religious man.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomAn interesting read – makes you want to evaluate what is important in your life.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina LewyckaI found it mildly amusing but really not my sort of novel.

The Accidental by Ali SmithA slightly quirky novel but overall quite enjoyable.

Great Expectations by Charles DickensA book I have read many times but still occasionally scan through. So many favourite bits but the account of the impromptu wedding of his friend Wemmick’s wedding is so heart-warming. “Halloa, here’s a church …….. Halloa here’s Miss Skiffins, let’s have a wedding”.

• apostawriter
    apostawriter

Hi,

I'm reading Guide by Dennis Cooper, dark material really...

and I recommend Tattoo This Madness In..by me! please check it out at www.dfmenow.blogspot.com.

It is of interest to ex-jw's and if you like a naughty rebel protagonist.

Daniel

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

"A Short History Of Tractors In Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka, very funny story of an elderly Ukranian widower who marries a woman almost 50 years younger than himself (who only wants his money), and the efforts of his two daughters to try and help save him.

• Celia
    Celia

I am reading Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie, not a new book, but I saw the author in an interview with Bill Moyers, and I was really impressed by what he had to say and how he said it.... not an easy read, and I do not enjoy it at all.... but I'll get through it, one paragraph at a time.... I guess you have to be a moslem indian to get into the story....

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Verifone Sapphire tech manuals

I also read The Singularity Is Near when humans transcend biology - Ray Kurzweil. Oh ya and The Holographic Universe- Michael Talbot

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I am reading The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

Its pretty good so far (Chap 7), but I really need to get into it and finish it.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

At the moment I am finishing up 'Toltecs of the New Millennium' by Victor Sanchez..

The author writes about his twenty or so years of life & study among an indigenous group in the mountains of central Mexico (he does not disclose the exact location, however, out of consideration for their cultural privacy). The ending of the book deals with their annual pilgrimage to the desert to harvest the sacred Hikuri (peyote cactus). Very colorful, very inspiring to me, just the kind of environment I wouldn't mind exploring one day..

After this book, I don't know. So many books, so many choices. My two bookcases are now filled to capacity, so any more books that I acquire are stacked on the floor beside them

DR

• Odrade
    Odrade

ugh, I HATED "The Historian" it was sooooo shallow. The premise was actually really good, but her writing was so juvenile it made internet Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fiction look like literary genius.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

Just finished reading Nickeled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Very interesting book about the working poor in America. Eye opening and sad. Getting ready to start reading The Bookseller of Kabul.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Just finished reading "The Kite Runner"- Great book! And "Snowflower & the secret fan". Another awesome read. Need to find something new now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit