Has anyone ever asked you to help them do something illegal?

by Scully 19 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    For an acquaintance, not worth it! For a friend, go for it! Drive past the house normal speed go 2/10ths of a mile and let her out! No one sees you know one even knows your there!

Then what? He reports it to the cops .. thinks "hang on .. I wonder if that woman took it?" ... goes off to "sort the bitch out" ... go legal I say. If possible have the cops fetch it (that's what they're paid for

• Scully
    Scully
    For an acquaintance, not worth it! For a friend, go for it!

This is another part of the equation. If I had to categorize her on a scale between "acquaintance" and "friend", she'd definitely land much closer to the "acquaintance" line, even before this request came up. I'm just not close enough to anyone IRL that I would even consider engaging in a minor violation of the law (like a parking ticket), much less participate in Grand Theft Auto.

Come to think of it, when I was a JW (over 20 years ago now), one Sister™ invited me to go in Service™ with her. Of course, she didn't own a vehicle, so it was necessary to use mine. We went to one of her Return Visits™, and found that there was no place to park nearby. She thought it was a fine idea to park in a No Parking area, and even though I objected initially and offered to let her out to do her RV herself, she eventually talked me into parking illegally so we could do this Not-At-Home Return Visit™. We weren't gone from the car for more than 5 minutes, but there was a $25 parking ticket on my car when we got back. Her reaction? "Oh, that's too bad. If I weren't Pioneering™ and could afford it, I'd pay for it, but I really can't help you. Besides the ticket is in your name, not mine." Then I asked her why, if she couldn't afford a ticket, would she put someone else in a position where they'd have to pay for one? I drove her home, dropped her off without a word and went to the police station and paid the ticket. And I never went in Service™ with her again. She never even offered to share the cost of my gas either. From that point on, I listen to my "User/Loser" Radar every time - it's never failed me.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

A FRIEND came by and opened his car trunk. My reply, as a friend, was where do we bury the body?

Just Kidding

Uwuf

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Many years ago a French-Morrocan 'friend' I had once dated tried to coerce me to carry some 'papers' through Heathrow (we were in California) and then on to a foreign embassy.

I flat refused though he was extremely persistant. Upshot was, a few months later a young woman from here (Santa Barbara) was arrested at Heathrow carrying a suitcase full of to-be-assembled guns. She claimed innocence and fingered - yes, you guessed it - Mr. SmoothBallz. She did jail time in London. After 9/11 our local newspaper did a follow-up (20+ years later) and this poor woman had had a tough time putting her life back together. I felt bad that I never stepped forward with what I knew, because I knew she was innocent, but my (then) husband forbade me to.

Think of the worst case scenario - and ask yourself if it is worth it.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Yes. It involved a gun. I refused and managed to talk them out of it. Never trusted them again........

Dams

• Norm
    Norm

Been asked to do things that are illegal in at least 32 states Scully
    but only in bed.

Norm

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

TMI Norm!

Scully a real true friend would never jeopardize their friendship like that. She's not a friend and you were not only right in turning her down but also in your feelings of anger toward her for even considering asking you.

I would dump her like a turd and flush.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I wasn't asked, but unwittingly involved in what was (on his side) a sham marriage. I will NEVER willingly help someone to break the law. I went through hell with the FBI, INS, NYC detectives after he did some OTHER illegal things which he didn't inform me of. . .I never saw him after one morning that he didn't come home from work, got the details over the next week and more over the next few months. . .I was never charged with anything, but that is ONLY because I was innocent(DUPED) and it was obvious. As I was pregnant when he left, I imagine they figured I had enough problems. . .and they were right. I would never do anything like that to another person and I would NEVER willingly become involved in anything skunky like that. My son thinks I am to 'sensitive' and 'uptight' about breaking the law-even little things-but I am never going to apologise for being a good citizen, even if it makes me look like a self-righteous prig. I have seen too many results of broken laws, lives truly destroyed(long term problems or death)for me to just break them to make someones life easier. That being said, I would do lots to help someone like your friendly aquaintance to improve her present circumstances-and I do frequently-but I think laws are there to help, and when they don't, I will work to change them, but I WON'T break them.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Nah you did the right thing. She probably regrets it on some level but is in her own world of pain and hell at the moment and isn't really thinking straight. If you want to be a friend to her, take her grocery shopping when you can, that's the kind of thing she really needs. Have you ever been her friend in need?

Nearly OT: I can see Sister Parking Ticket sitting down in her lounge after you dumped her home getting all crabby that you caused her to miss out on her daily hours quota, and then deciding to walk down to the quickiemart after she makes herself a sandwich so that she can count the whole morning. Then praising Jah for his abundant spiritual provisions.

• Caedes
    Caedes

You know what they say; friends help you move, REAL friends help you move bodies.

Seriously though I had an American friend when I used to live in London who asked me to marry her so she could stay in London, I didn't in the end but only because it would have really upset my girlfriend. I must say that it depends on the situation and who the friend is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit