HOW HIGH DID NOAH'S FLOOD GO?

by badboy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I PROPERBLY DO SOMEWHERE,BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW IT HELPS!

• mckay
    mckay

Genesis 7:20 "Up to fifteen cubits the waters overwhelmed them and the mountains became covered."

So who measured the depth of the water above the mountains and how did they know they were above a mountain, no landmarks or navigation buoys ya know?

And if it's all be inspiration from Jehovah then that answers all questions and there's no need to even discuss the problems such as Noah building a 430 X 70 foot barge with a copper or bronze hatchet. No "Black and Decker" power saws in those days I understand.

• belbab
    belbab

Badboy,

Others are of the belief that the floods rose about as high as the flood caused by Katrina in the area of New Orleans.

substitute high ground, for mountains and Mesopotamian valley, for all the earth.

belbab

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If the Ark landed on Mt Ararat itself then it would have to have been its current height of c. 5km at the end of the flood for the Ark to be there.

The WT claims that all this water was above the earth before the flood. That would have made the air pressure at the ground pre flood around 9 000 - 10 000 pounds per square inch, as opposed to that of today of 15 p.s.i.

Maybe that's why all the pre flood fossils are so flattened? And why didn't all the animals explode when they came out of the ark and were exposed to the now lower air pressure - like deep sea fish do when they are brought up to the surface??

As for the waters pushing up the mountains: Since the waters covered the entire earth, we are looking at a system in equilibrium. all around the globe the pressures would cancel each other out. And gravity does not work sideways anyway.

But then ....

HB

• mckay
    mckay

I have argued the "Flood" problems with a cute young JW women who wanted to study with me, along with her husband. Her claim as to the formations of the mountains was that they were pushed up by all the water pressure during the "Flood". However water weighs 63 pounds per square foot and rock weighs 160 pounds per square foot. A lighter object does not force a heavier object upward, it works the opposite way. A rock does not float on water.

Strange how someone will argue for their beliefs when all the facts are against them. I'm from a Mormon background and the same thing happens, all facts are against the truthfulness of Joe Smith being a prophet but that does not hinder a true believer.

• heathen
    heathen

Where you guys come up with those theories? Water itself may not have the weight behind it but the velocity of sheets perhaps miles in diameter and hundreds of miles in orbit may be enough . The WTBTS states that the force of impact is what tilted the earth on it's axis so that we now have seasons .

• mckay
    mckay

Heathen, could you be more specific and tell us about it?

• heathen
    heathen

I'm just quoting the creation book there . what part are you having a hard time with? The belief is that there was a watery canopy in orbit around the earth at the time of the deluge the water fell to earth with enough impact to even tilt the earth on it's axis so we now have seasons when before the flood there were no seasons . I would think that kind of force could force the ground to bulge and create mountains .

• mckay
    mckay

"what part are you having a hard time with?"

The only part I have a problem with is all of it.

mckay

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Heathen

There were indeed seasons thousands of years before the purportedly global flood.

Fossils of spring flowers, flowering plants, seasonal breeding patterns. If there were no seasons, the fossils would show no cessation all year round of all these activities. Fossils of seasonal breeding shell fish are found which are identical to those still breeding today. If these bred continuously because there were no seasons or negligible variation in daylight there should be a disproportionate number of fossils for such life forms. Fossil corals also reveal that the day was less than 23 hours long at one time. (Do the research for yourself like I had to)

There is no point saying that as the fossil record is incomplete we cannot prove this, since the same incomplete fossil record is used by the WTBTS to "prove" seasons started when the earth's axis" tilted " just over 4 500 years ago.

The continuous historical records of the Chinese give no account of this, or of the flood, which they predate by several centuries. Nor have you explained away the proven laws of physics so we can understand how preflood people and animals could have survived air pressures of thousands of pounds per square inch created by such a vast mass of water above the earth.

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit