Why do JWs do these things

by curiouskev 12 Replies latest jw friends

• curiouskev
    curiouskev

Whoever can answer a few Qs for me I would be grateful!

I would really like to know why Wittnesses Shun people at meetings or weddings or social gatherings. I understand the need and desire for Members of the church to help other Wittnesses back into the fold after they have committed a serious sin! And help with the repentence process!

What I dont get is how can or why will Wittnesses, Shun there family members at meetings and weddings and such sometimes for years!

I really am searching for understanding and not ammunition! I would like to have Scriptoral references from the King James Version of the Bible.

Curiouskev

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi curiouskev, and welcome to the forum.

Jehovahs witnesses shun those who have left their faith, even their own relatives, because the watch tower society tells them to. It's supposed to be an act of love on their part, to remind the sinner of what they are missing by not being able to enjoy fellowship with other witnesses, though I personally see very little loving in evidence.

One scripture they refer to is this one, from 2John 1:

9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

That is a quote from the King James Version, which you asked for in your post.

I hope this helps.

Linda

• parakeet
    parakeet

fullofdoubtnow gave you the JWs' ostensible reason for shunning (i.e. it's an act of "love" designed to bring back the stray sheep).
    In practice, the WTS encourages total shunning because it prevents open discussion between JWs and those who have left. Such discussion would reveal some unwelcome truths about the WTS to the JWs, which in turn could lead to their leaving the religion too.
    Shunning is not an act of love; it's an act of aggression against those who leave because they have seen through the WTS' web of lies.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Parakeet you are so on the money with your comments - I wasnt attending for 8 months, had spoken to an Elder to say I will no longer attend and moved away, wasnt known for being a brother and then when they could DF me they came after me with a vengence.

CS 101

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures: (basically JW Bible)

1st Corinthians 5: 11-13:

11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves.”

King James Version, The Holy Bible:

1 Corinthians 5:11-13

11: But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12: For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13: But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

New World Translation

2 John 1: 9-13

9 Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

Holy Bible

2 John 1:9-13

9: Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10: If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

11: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

New World Translation

Matthew 10: 34-36

34 Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household.

Holy Bible

Matthew 10 34:36

34: Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35: For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36: And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Also read: The Watchtower of September 1 and 15, 1981 @ http://www.silentlambs.org/dfarticle.htm

reprint of the Mar/Apr 1986 Bethel Ministries Newsletter - http://www.freeminds.org/psych/disfell.htm

Hope some of this helps your understand as to why JW's shun.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

(whyamihere thinks she's blondie)

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

But none the less makes a great post on this subject!

CS 101

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    (whyamihere thinks she's blondie)

Scary isnt it?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

LOL @ Crumpet!

I never show people on here that I actually have a mind, and I use it! Shhh, don't tell anyone.

**smarter than she looks class**

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi curious kev & welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit