"it's been said....."

by bonnzo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

"It's been said..."

"A wise person once said..."

"They say..."

Never did like those statement prefixes.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I dont recall seeing ANY algebra in those magazines...I guess we dont need no steeenkeeen numberz in the Gnu Seeesstim.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Ooohhh Ooohhh, I got one:

"Obviously, true Christians would .........."

lisa

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yeah, I've heard that phrase a few times, both on the platform and in the ministry.

The one I remember with least affection though is "many/most (honest) people would agree".....and then they (and me many times) launch into how bad the times we live in are, or maybe say "most honest people would agree that this scripture, more often than not 2Timothy 3:1 - 4, is an accurate description of the times we live in". We were more or less implying that if the householder didn't agree, they weren't honest, and I can remember a few questioning whether that's what we meant.

Linda (very happy not to be hearing or saying that bullshit anymore)

• RR
    RR

Hmmmm ... Maxwell Smart use to say something similiar .... "Would you believe ...."

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

you guys are too funny

i did wonder if the college education statement was on the back of an awake magazine. i thiught maybe some idiot made a statement close to my original statement that got blown out of proportion. maybe just a drunk GB member. somebody started it and we should kill him. thanks to him, i have a 25 years old high school education that would not do much good if i had to find a job now.

• xjwms
    xjwms

""AS IT WERE""

Thats what they would say at my old hall

everything ended in ...as it were.

• anewme
    anewme

Lisa V is right. Using the word "obviously" is a powerful coersive and persuasive word and implies and forces agreement with the writer upon the reader/listener and threatens the reader/listener with the label "idiot" if he or she doesnt see the "obvious".

(This is how my ex talked to me all the time. Very controlling. Very condescending. Oooooh thinking about it makes my blood boil! "Obviously", he was a JW snob. But I took it for over 20 years not identifying it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Obviously the Watchtower Society shouldn't say things like that!

• AlanF
    AlanF

In the 1960s, when I briefly contemplated college, my JW mom told me that same nonsense about Awake! I suspect it's been going around since the 1950s.

Of course, when I went to college a decade later, I learned that Awake! writers wouldn't pass muster in Essay Writing 101.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit