When do you put a dog down?

by katiekitten 36 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    If the dog has sad eyes and no longer wags it's tale, and along with the disability, then it's time to let her go.

i could see it in my dogs eyes...........thinking about it almost makes me cry........

you could actually see death coming

thanks katie.......he was a good dog........its really hard to let them go.

purps
  • looking_glass
    looking_glass

Take it to the vet and see what the vet says. They will generally tell you the truth, if it is just a bad day for an old dog, or if it is time to put the dog to sleep so he does not continue to suffer. Quality over quantity. I think some times for pet owners it is hard because we are selfish and want to keep the pet with us, when in reality the pet is suffering and should be put down. I grew up with dogs. My mother could never have them put to sleep, so I was always the one that went in and held them as the vet administered the drugs. It is very humane, really it is. I am sure with some reasoning w/ your dad's wife that she will understand. Maybe if the vet tells her, she will take it better.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

What if the dog were to die while your folks were on holiday?

I think it may be possible that you are the only one in your family who is able to look at this rationally and UNDERSTAND what is best for the dog. Your Mom is a sloppy sentimentalist who takes no responsibility for the object of her affection and "deep concern." Your Dad is used to being the dog's butler and private nurse. Probably he has more empathy for the dog's situation, because you don't spend night after night cleaning up shit and piss because it is a fun thing to do.

You said, " I just cant stand to see her like this, a shitting pissing whimpering machine."

That is what we all are, isn't it? Read Ecclesiastes. Read Buddha.

"Hi Mom? Fluffy died while you were at Disneyland."

Have you ever attended a sick animal and had it die in front of you? I have. I promised that little being that I would not let him die in pain, and I failed him because the vet didn't arrive soon enough. It isn't pretty, or poetic, or painless. You can give that poor dog a final gift. I think though that the gift will be your secret forever.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Ugly dog

Not trying to be insensitive but if the dog looks anything like this, it might be time.

Loruhamah

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Ah Katie to see an animal suffering is not a good thing. If I was in your situation I would be angry with the owner. There's no reason to let a dog suffer like that. I'm a dog lover - adore them! But I could not stand to see a dog in that condition. It would break my heart.

• John Doe
    John Doe

People are interestingly nonsensical creatures. At one moment they're chomping on the flesh of animals, and at the next they're wallowing in despair over the plight of a dog that needs to be taken around back and "helped." I don't have much sympathy for people who will put an animal through needless agony.

• Kaput
    Kaput

katiekitten

I'm with Nathan Natas. You'll be doing everyone a favor, especially the dog.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

each living creature has an allotted time.

w-a-c- wisdom of the ages

• nelly136
    nelly136

they might not like you for it but you'd be doing a very kind thing for the dog if you ended its misery peacefully at the vets.

• dobbie
    dobbie

hi kk i know its hard to reason with them on this, to them its their baby substitute and people get so attached they can't bear to let go.I used to work at a vets and i know if you can get them to agree just to get the vet to look it over and get his opinion, he'll give them an honest answer and that way its coming from a professional, they would probably take notice of that.Really though it sounds like quality of life gone now is it still eating?I know they used to say if they are in pain and not eating then its time to try and let go.I hope you can all work it out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit