When did the Society start making territory cards?

by truthseeker 11 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I'm curious to know when the territory card system came out. Any ideas?

In some congs I have been in, the territory servant is printing out the maps in color for each car group. Pretty expensive eh?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Sounds like someone is brown-nosing and trying to climb the ladder. Maybe he needs to go out in preaching and not have so much time on his hands!!! LOL

• carla
    carla

I just found one!! there is a sheet for 'do not calls' and 'no tresspassing' as well. Comes in a plastic envelope. Does everybody get these? or has he gone and had himself appointed ms or elder or something?

• Warlock
    Warlock

We had a brother in my old congregation who started making updated, and quite frankly, much better territory cards, with the elders blessings, of course.

When the C.O. made his next visit, that, was the end of that. We had to go back to the old ones. We all had to be "united in worship" you know.

He said something to the effect of "don't alter what the Society gives you. It's done for a reason.".

Warlock

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My first exposure to the idea of 'terrritory' cards was as a lad circa 1960. There was a large framed map on the wall of the KH that was divided into gerrymandered sections, each colored with contrasting color. I later became aware that each one corresponded with a 'card' that was issued to the 'appoved publishers' to 'work' in service. I later had a hand in making and controlling such cards as the 'territory servant'.

So they go back to at least 1960, prob farther.

Jeff

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

When the C.O. made his next visit, that, was the end of that. We had to go back to the old ones. We all had to be "united in worship" you know.

He said something to the effect of "don't alter what the Society gives you. It's done for a reason.".

I remember that happening as well in my former congregation. Nit-picking while using the "united in worship" line was paramount with those taking the lead. Often times "reasons" can't even be explained logically by such ones. That really made me see that they depended on the need to function outwardly instead of focusing on the love of Christ.

• freebird2000
    freebird2000

When I was in 1992 or so we were being issued territory maps.I think that is about when it started .After reading the posts I guess I am way wrong huh?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

from "ORGANIZATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE KINGDOM PUBLISHER" 1945:

alt I don't know how much earlier the practice may have started, but I would not be surprised if the author of the idea was Judge Rutherford.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was in congregations with drawn out maps, photos, cut up pieces of maps, etc. No real system, and for the most part I think the answer is obvious as to why they do this. Organization!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember dad redoing the congregation maps about 20 years ago and putting them in plastic holders, similar to a bank deposit book holder. He got really good maps and redid everyone of them. They looked really nice, then he went to the library and got the Cris Cross directory and looked up all the addresses in apartments where they couldn't get in...about a month later I got one of those letters because I lived in one of those apartments they couldn't get into...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit