The Bump Key - How to Open Any Lock

by daniel-p 22 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This video hows how with the use of a "bump key" a person can open a lock in seconds. You can get a few keys that are the same types as most locks on household doors, alter them slightly, and use them to open doors while leaving no trace of damage. Or, you can just buy a set of them online.

Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ&search=bump%20key

• Arthur
    Arthur

Isn't this just great info to spread around the internet. Hey, daniel, where did you say you lived again?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Isn't this just great info to spread around the internet. Hey, daniel, where did you say you lived again?

I know how you feel... however, the idea is to let people realize they are not as safe as the think they are. I for one, would rather know how much trust I can place in a lock rather than ignore this kind of info and pretend it could never happen.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I for one, would rather know how much trust I can place in a lock rather than ignore this kind of info and pretend it could never happen.

I know, I was just teasing you. I'm glad that I'm aware of this now.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I'm glad that I'm aware of this now.

So just remember, if this ever happens to you, and you're not so worried about dying a 100% honest man, make sure to bash the door in or jam the lock before you call the police. That way your insurance company on't give you crap over the fact that there was no trace of burglary.

• bem
    bem

Well I think I'm glad to have that information!? kinda makes me wonder now how long till we hear about this being used here in this area, No I don't intend to try it But makes me wanna do some other kind of lock!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

BUMP ttt

I just did a search on ebay... yup, you can buy a set of bump keys there.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

this is good for internal WT apostates who need to get at files

• VM44
    VM44

Sounds like a severe design flaw in keys.

I wonder how long this method has been known by locksmiths?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

From the online wiki article on lock picking. --VM44

Another technique, often the fastest, uses a vibration pick or gun, which sharply strikes all the bottom pins simultaneously while light torque is applied; like a cue ball, the energy is transmitted through to the top pins, which fly to the top of their well. This momentarily creates a large space between the two pins, and, given the right timing, the lock can be turned. The Pick Gun was initially developed for law enforcement, allowing officers who are not adept at lock picking to open a lock quickly and easily.

A refinement of this kinetic technique is the use of bump keys. These are keys with all the cuts at or slightly below the deepest level for a key made by the manufacturer, and a small amount of material removed at the tip, and, where applicable, at the shoulder - the part of the key that prevents the key from entering the lock too deeply. By sharply striking the bump key, it is possible to apply an even impact to each pin column, which then separates as if struck using a pick gun. Bump keys will work in many locks that pick gun needles will not fit into.

To defend against these attacks, high-security locks use a sidebar, which engages from another axis and also prevents the lock from turning. Medeco locks do this by requiring the pins to be rotated to a correct position, as well as moved to their correct height. Other brands put the sidebar cuts in the side of the key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit