Candida Anyone?

by looking_glass 23 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Since someone started a thread about "remember when there were pianos in the hall"? I thought I would start this thread ... remember when everyone thought they had candida? Maybe it was just in IL and WI. But I remember in the 90's this was a big thing. Everyone was living on garlic and had cut out white processed foods. It was horrible. First of all it was a hall full of bad breathed. To the outside world it looked like a group that was possibly trying to ward off vampires. From what I understand there is one lone hold out to this candida craze. This guy was always a hypochondriac, so it makes sense that he is going to cling to this strangely hard to diagnose disease.

• kls
    kls

LOL , no i was out for years when this happened but i remember in the 80s there was always some stupid new light of something going on . Back then being a Vegetarien was a big thing and how to use different methods to tell if a pregnant sister was haveing a boy or a girl.

The jws are so bored with their lives to have to think and do something exciting,,,,,,,,,lol

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

What I remember of it was, plain yogurt, lots of veggies, some fruit, I think mostly chicken and tons of garlic. Every time some sister said she was tired or had a headache a JW would pipe up and scream "she's got the candida" and everyone would kick into overdrive and tell the person what they could and could not eat.

I remember the vegan period as well. Thankfully my dad was not to be put thru that, but he was forced to swallow down a ton of vitamins, until the day he rebelled and said "I am not taking this sh*t anymore". I was like "yeah, me neither." I remember my mom's response, "well looks like I am the only one in this household that will be in the new system and be one step closer to perfection." I still give her crap over that statement to this day. Thankfully she realizes what a loon she sounded like.

• juni
    juni

Yep. I remember the candida obsession in the ' 80s. Just how you told it. Also, some screwball way (can't remember the specifics) of gender telling.

There was always some "fad" or farce going around.

Juni

HOW ABOUT THE COLONIC TREATMENT EPIDEMIC??

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I wonder if you are talking about my old congo?

Supposedly one brother almost died from candida-at least, that was according to his mother (who never did let him go and lead a normal life. The poor guy will never get married thanks to his mamma).

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

2 - nope, I was not referring to the same guy. The guy I know is in Lake County, IL. Shocking to discovering there are more than one of these types of JW guys out there. Nah, not really. I think I was out before the colonic thing came out. I think it is crazy that JWs obsess over these "health" thing, but heaven forbid they go to the gym because that is being selfish and worldly pursuits.

• juni
    juni

You're right.

Juni

• ringo5
    ringo5

Yeah, I also remember some disgusting fungi in a jar, and you were supposed to drink the swill that it produced every day? Does anyone remember that?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, but I remember the brewer's yeast shakes I got to drink EVERY day before school. Until the day I puked my guts up in first period .. thank god the school nurse told my mother to stop doing that to me. I loved that school nurse! She was my hero.

• Highlander
    Highlander

What the hell is Candida?

Is that anything like the Chronic Fatigue Sydrome that everyone had?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit