Resolutions at Meetings

by bavman 33 Replies latest jw friends

• bavman
    bavman

Have you ever seen a congregation not raise enough hands to make a resolution pass?

• Arthur
    Arthur

Never. I never saw anyone even openly dissent.

• carla
    carla

How could that even happen? where would all the 'unity' be then?

• bavman
    bavman

I never did either. I mostly saw and heard everyone giggle when raising their hands knowing what they did made know difference and was just a formality.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, and were the elders pi**ed. It had to do with a remodeling and many in the congregation felt that had not been given enough information and they were right. The elders just had it on another night unannounced and made sure all their supporters were there and many of the naysayers were gone. But the one rogue elder actually later said from the platform that if you did not support it, not to donate to the local KH contribution box. The other elders tried to undo the damage discreetly but the donations went down dramatically.

People in the congregation can vote with their pocketbook and eventually with their feet.

Blondie

• bavman
    bavman

I actually do remember an elder talking about a situation like the one you described Blondie. He was peaved at the elder who decided to bring up the resolution on that particular night because he knew a lot of the 'supporters' would be out of town.

• carla
    carla

Was a story told here about a lady who made a fuss because they wanted new carpet in the kh but she didn't want to spend the money because the end was coming so soon. She had the whole kh in an uproar it sounds like, people taking sides and elders not happy. Funny, what they worry about it isn't it?

• bavman
    bavman

Stop it Carla. You're bringing back bad memories for me...lol. Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember a lot of situations like that where big fusses would be made and the elders running around trying to do damage control.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I don't remember any issues here. I do remember how important the kids felt when they became unbaptized publishers and got to vote.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings bavman,

:Have you ever seen a congregation not raise enough hands to make a resolution pass?

No. Just once years a go there was a dissenter. I remember the "lords" of the congregation staring at her with despair.

They all but took her in the back room and beat her to a pulp.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit