Time Article on Ray Franz - 1985 (scanned)

by waiting 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I always thought that statement was really strange. What they failed to say is that "armageddon could be much farther than we ever thought". I mean, I could feel pretty confident that I was going to outlive the old ones if I had reasonably good health.

Too bad for the 70 year old who was hoping to make the "cut" into Paradise. I feel bad for them. I see alot of disappointment, like they really thought they would make it. But still they hang on, and probably when you're that age, in all honesty, it just might be the best thing to do.

Of course no matter what the society said about how nothing really changed, we all knew otherwise. And what you see today is evidence of that.

How fast do you run in an endurance race when you don't know where the finish line is? So many were sprinting in the mid to late '80's and early '90's. That the finish line was possibly moved back, was not the answer anyone needed to hear.

Just wait til they say 1935 wasn't then end of the anointed being called. This thing can go on for a long time.

Path

• Simon
    Simon

The WatchTower/Bible Students have been predicting that Armageddon is really close for over 150 years...
    Sounds a bit lame really when you put it like that.
    I think it's a bit like when you're stood at a bus stop in the rain...the bus hasn't arrived. What do you do? Wait in the rain - it may not be coming at all. Leave? What if it arrives just after you left.
    It's hard to walk away but imagine spending your life stood waiting in the rain for a bus that isn't coming.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Path, you and Simon make some interesting observations here. A couple of years before I stepped down I began using the illustration of the sprinter versus the long distance runner. I would tell my audience that this was no sprint, that this would be an endurance run. Most just nodded like they do regardless of what you say but a few would grasp what I was saying. I could see it in their eyes that they understood that I could go no farther with it. They knewwhat I meant!
    Simon, your illustration of waiting for the bus in the rain brings to mind a short SF story I read a very long time ago. When I have more time I'll post the gist of it here...

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Interesting points concerning the sprinter vs the endurance runner. Someone on Witnet was posting these exact same thoughts. They also mentioned that the ministry work has been set up with a "sprint" in mind and that now that it is known that this is to be a long-haul endurance thing, perhaps changes should be made so that JW's can have somewhat of a life. This correlates to the mainstreaming of JW's in the near future. Pretty soon they'll be sponsoring KH rummage sales. LOL

• Carmel
    Carmel

Just wanted to alert all of you that are in the US and points further west! I'm a few hours ahead of you and so I get the news sooner. Armegeddon started about fifteen minutes ago and is spreading rapidly. By midnight it will be encircling the globe and by the time you wake up and read this, I will have picked out the house I want and occupied it. Already have the red BMW convertible spotted I want in my garage!

Hope you all make it through! I'll be one of the "Ruler Class" as I have Irish ancestors by the name of "Priest".

See ya! cept you nasty "apostates".

Carmel signing off from Elijah's cave!

ps you can toss your book bags now....

• waiting
    waiting

Wow.......

Good thing I didn't write that pesky d.a. letter yet. I've learned in dealing with Legal & Serv. Dept. - Technicalities rule.

And, technically, I'm still a card carrying jw.

I don't know whether that's a plus or minus in reality. But, Hey! we're talking technicalities - not realities.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    And, technically, I'm still a card carrying jw.

Me, too! Me, too! I'm just inactive. Okay, so it's been 15 years, but I'm still just inactive. There's hope for me....oh, yes, there is. WOOHOO!!!

Just one problem I can see. It's just that I like the house I'm living in now, but a couple of years ago I found a Watchtower hidden in a very out-of-the-way spot on my front porch. I assumed it was put there by the JW who was claiming my house as a post-Armageddon trophy.

The problem is....who gets the house? Or do I have to share it with some braindead moron for the rest of eternity?

• inbetween
    inbetween

bump,

maybe seen before, but look at the post 412 of Pathofthorns:

"Just wait til they say 1935 wasn't then end of the anointed being called. This thing can go on for a long time.

Path"

this was posted in 2000, then 7 years later the Watchtower said just this..(QFR)

"new light" revealed to somebody posting on an apostate forum, holy spirit must have been on the loose

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

maybe seen before, but look at the post 412 of Pathofthorns:

"Just wait til they say 1935 wasn't then end of the anointed being called. This thing can go on for a long time.

Path"

this was posted in 2000, then 7 years later the Watchtower said just this..(QFR)

We shall know that a prophet was among us!

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

THis person was "running ahead of Jehovah's Organization" and Jehovah cannot be pleased.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit