Time Article on Ray Franz - 1985 (scanned)

by waiting 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon
    Simon

Don't worry about the links not working right. You are posting them OK - it's my bit that isn't working right.

• AhHah
    AhHah

I have been checking out Beacon http://www.xjw.com/ but I don't see any articles by Ray Franz. Also, it does not seem to have a forum. However, there are many interesting articles on JW doctrine, etc.

I thought this article "Paradise on Earth - When?" was interesting. http://www.xjw.com/paradise.html

Edited by - AhHah on 29 October 2000 16:18:59

• AhHah
    AhHah

Simon Templar and Waiting,

When making that last post, I discovered that a web link paste at the beginning of a line (nothing typed before it) is not hot, but when I moved the link to the end of the sentence, then the link worked.

It was not necessary to place 'url' before the link for it to work, but that DOES work because ANYTHING typed before the link causes it to work.

Hope that helps.

p.s. When will we be able to do a search by Profile Name?

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks AhHah
    That is helpful - and it explains why it's been working on my development machine.

• AhHah
    AhHah

Simon,

I'd be curious to hear what hardware and software you are using for the forum, unless that would invite unwanted hacking. Do you manage the network yourself or use a BBS service?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey W

Read the last two sentences of the article you posted. Strangely prophetic in hindsight.

Path

• Simon
    Simon

AhHah:
    I have no idea what hardware it runs on! I use an ISP that provides NT/IIS hosting which gives me ASP & SQL. The forum code is my own creation (though obviously, the design is based on existing stuff).
    I know there are some forum hosting services available but I like being able to decide the features myself and hate having banner ads everywhere.
    I've got a lot of things planned for the next version when I get chance - polls/surveys, news, private messaging, subscriptions/newsletters, and all kinds of crazy stuff .
    I just need some time to work on it!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Path,

I had to squint - but the last two sentences are slightly weird in retrospect, huh?

Basically, that the end must come before the persons who have seen and understood 1914 have passed away.

Well, another Light bites the dust!

waiting

• Simon
    Simon

This one went a few years ago didn't it? I think it was about 1995 that 'this generation' was detached from 1914 and now just means any generation. It could be 30 years away, 300 years away or 3,000 years away.
    This is why the preaching figures are down - there isn't a sense of urgency anymore.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

That's certainly a factor, Simon. I mentioned this to a C.O. once after listening to a 'pep talk' on getting the publishers out in the field more. I told him that this article had done this, removed the sense of urgencey. He looked at me as though I was speaking Greek. Had I misunderstood the article? He queried. Armageddon was just as close as it ever was, perhaps even closer! Then I asked him if anyone knew when armageddon was coming? He replied no. (that was in the article too) Then I asked him how one could say that something was close if they did not know when it was coming. He paused for a few seconds and said "Well the Bible has always said that it was close." I said, it does say that, doesn't it? I could tell by his facial expression that he was well pleased with himself for having cleared that up for me.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit