How do the elders deal with a very poor brother or sister?

by JH 45 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH
    Those people were true Christians

Yes Blondie, true Christians are there to open their hearts when people suffer and going through tough times.

What's funny is that Catholics help out poor people in the parish around Christmas time.

Imagine a JW being forced to ask for Catholic help.......

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I know of JWs that have accepted help from the Red Cross (though they would never donate to them); I know JWs who accepted help from the Salvation Army (but would never donate to them).

• JH
    JH
    Then the elders are supposed to help them fill the forms for government help. Then if that fails, if the person is a JW in good standing for many years, the elders may ask the congregation to help.

So, the JW's dump their responsibility of helping their own members upon the government, the same governments that they accuse day and night.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

In our congregation, it was always the sisters who took it upon themselves to help the poor. Nothing from the elders or brothers at all. My hubby was good if I told him a certain family was struggling, he would always slip some cash into the brothers briefcase. One year, a single sister and her daughter needed financial help to get to a convention and my hubby gave her $250 to cover her hotel.

We also gave food and clothing on many occassions. And my hubby was known as the only brother to help the elderly widows in our hall. He would shovel snow, change lightbulbs, paint, whatever help they needed. And for one sister he would put in her air conditioners every summer and take them out in fall.

Again, no help from the brothers ever offered or anouncements made to help the poor. And we had several poor families. Lilly

• kls
    kls
    So, the JW's dump their responsibility of helping their own members on the government, the same governments that they accuse day and night.

Not meaning to get off the subject but yes the jws use the goverment ,even though they don't believe in it but when they need it they use it.

I think alot of jw parents don't want to have their children die from having no blood transfusion, but they know the docs and the courts will do it for them, and the jws will have a clear conscience relying on the courts .

• JH
    JH
    I think alot of jw parents don't want to have their children die from having no blood transfusion, but they know the docs and the courts will do it for them, and the jws will have a clear conscience relying on the courts .

Yes, that's a good parallel with the example I'm giving about asking the goverment for finanical help and at the same time accusing them of going against the Kingdom to come.

• JH
    JH

I would love to hear the elders say in front of the whole congregation, after a meeting, that brother or sister so and so lost their job and if anyone can come to their help, by sharing work, it would be appreciated.

That's not something you'd see in the JW religion but rather in a Christian religion. And why the elders won't say this, is because Jehovah is supposed to be there to help his people. It would look bad to show that God doesn't take care of his own religion.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A) Tell them that the Organization is not a place to beg but to preach, to give and not to receive.

B) Remind the brother or sister that welfare was put in place by God for the poor so don't bother us any more.

You summed it up in a tight little package that is about the same size as the cult's heart.

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

We had a brother in our hall that was going through a divorce. He was living with his daughter's family but wanted to get a small home of his own and I guess the bank wouldn't give him a loan. I guess he expressed his financial "need" to some of the elders and the PO actually told him to ask my husband for a loan. We really didn't know this brother very well (he had never had two words to say to us) but he came to us for loan that was quite bit of $$$, said he would pay us back in a month at the most. After six months of the guy not even mentioning it, we were put in the uncomfortable position of not only asking for it, but having to keep asking for it.

We had to respectfully tell the PO that we weren't a bank and not to send brothers to us when they need a loan! Can you beleive that!!!! We are happy to help out where we can, but we don't have loads of extra cash just sitting around! Does anyone???

Swam

• LDH
    LDH
    Not meaning to get off the subject but yes the jws use the goverment ,even though they don't believe in it but when they need it they use it.

Uh yeah, some lame ass shit about "Using the world but not to its full" springs to mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit