the good, the bad, the ugly and the weird

by wasasister 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Danny:

May I suggest that you have established yourself here on jw.com, there really is no reason (anymore) for anyone to preempt their thoughts and feelings with the caviat: (why? why? am I doing this?)

Thanks for the kind words. I guess this means I've "arrived." (I'm going to dispense with the corney emmy award acceptance speech--just this once!)

I have seen this board take a turn for the better, as respects allowing you and I, to speak our minds, without some self ordained monitor telling us we are stupid or asinine for doing so.

I agree and I think it's because we're all starting to see that we agree on 99.99% of this issue.

We ALL want to see an end to the violence. I'm sure even the terrorists who fomented this and other atrocities would like to see peace. Who WANTS to fight? Sadly, most of us agree that some violence is going to be necessary in this case. Maybe it wont stamp out terrorism, but we just cannot allow ourselves to be seen as an easy target any longer. (Of course, the terrorists will then feel that violence on their part is also necessary... and around we go)

There are some who'd like to talk and bargain past this, but I think most agree that we're beyond solving this with words; neither side is willing or able to give enough to the other.

So where does that leave us? To disagree on the amount of force that is justified and necessary in this instance. Once the initial emotional response (mine included) passes, I don't think we all really disagree all that much.

It's a sad fact that this kind of tragedy is what most unites human beings.

Hmmm

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Back to ya Hmmmm,

****It's a sad fact that this kind of tragedy is what most unites human beings.****

I think it is true as regards international, national, local, and one on one relationships. I truly believe that even mine or yours most ardent opposer on this little discussion board, would overlook all the animosity or bad feelings, and come to our aid in a severe time of need. Thank goodness we humans are just made that way!

Nice to talk about something positive for a change Hmmmm?!!!!

I agree with your comments. Killing is NOT particularly great activity to think about, let alone have to perform. But I do come in contact almost daily with those charged with the duty to do so, when called up. I don't envy any of these armed forces, anywhere in the world right now. A big load, they carry for the rest of us.

Danny

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Let me put it this way - the words I say are not angry or hateful to me. You are correct wasasister when you say eye of the beholder. I curse and use strong words when it suits the point I wish to get across, so what? I smoke and have tattoos and can be pretty rough around the edges, but I have a very soft sensitive side. So what?

You have a right to your lifestyle the same as I have a right to mine. I will obstain from being "outspoken" on the main forum, but I will still express my views.

I live in America and I have freedom. Freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

I no longer belong to the JW's and no longer wish to live the whole holier-than-thou lifestyle. I wanna let down my hair and be human once in a while. I wanna cuss and scream sometimes because this is what helps ME.

I am the same person I always was, only now I have been set free out of my cage. I have been reborn and I am loving it. If I offend any of you I am sorry, but my feelings will not change because a few people may not agree with my manner of doing things. Relax and enjoy life. Anger can be healthy, at least it is for me. I am not an angry person, but I do have a hot temper. And if someone says a person should be executed for being a homosexual, then I think the same should be done to them. That was the point, only it seems my point was missed. Instead - I and many others have been nit-picked for every little comment made.

I will attempt to bite my tounge whenever possible so not to offend anyone with delicate ears, but to be honest I think that is really sad.

• COMF
    COMF

DannyBear:
    Once you finally expressed your feelings about the subject, your comments heretofore made sense.

Glad you said so, Danman. But, they made sense even as one-liners. Granted, one-liners rely heavily on irony and subtlety; but that's the beauty of them--expressing so much concept with so few words.

Hmmm:
    I think you're exaggerating a bit here. I've seen tons of national news coverage

I'm sure you're right, Hmmm, that what I described is not happening en masse nationwide. But I wasn't repeating something I saw on the news, either. I was repeating what has been observed in connection with schools and (surprise!) a church here, as described to me by my friend, Nickie, a grant-writing consultant with Irving ISD.

MrMoe:
    Things will go smoother for you if you will display the same attitude toward others' words as you demand they display toward yours.

COMF

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

This is silly.

I say things only when people attack other people or attack me.

If you don't like it, go use H2O - I hear they monitor the "truly ugly" like me. Boy, do I feel like I am back at the Kingdom Hall with all of these innocent ears. You are cracking me up.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Wasasister,

I was going to let this drop, but you brought up some additional questions.

***I sincerely hope Danny was not referring to me as a "self-ordained monitor" of people expressing their views. I certainly implied no such thing, nor did I EVER at any point offer blanket "hugs" to those who want peace. (where did that idea come from?)***

If you will go back and reread your entire post, from the title down, without taking into consideration 'your supposed intent', you will see where some can take offense.

Over three times Wasa you labeled poster's into different slots. Here is most if not all of the labels; Good, bad, ugly, weird, hero's, villans, blah blah blah.

If you cannot see the blatant black and white thinking in these judgemental statements, there is really nothing more I can say.

All of ex-jw's in one way or another come from a backgroud of this very attitude. I have been out for 20yrs yet still have to watch this tendancy to think in 'black and white'. To label any poster as you did here in unfair to say the least. Many here are at different stages of recovery, and just learning to exercise their new found freedom of expression. Why must Wasasister insist on grouping the worthies from the unworthy?

You did in fact give a group hug, to all those you considered hero's or 'the good guy's by your final expression. Read it again, without the blinder's of your own intent.

Danny

• teejay
    teejay

Danny,

I agree. It takes a lot of effort to keep from presupposing that the views we personally hold are the only correct ones and opposing views or those we haven't thought of are not worthy of consideration. It is no doubt a by-product of our involvement with the Society. While we may have left behind the peculiar beliefs of that religion, the mindset and the WAY of thinking often persistently lingers.

I like this thread. It provides a lot of food for thought.

peace,
    todd

• wasasister
    wasasister

Danny: I'll answer your one question and then I too am content to let the matter die. I don't see much movement on either of our parts. If you or TeeJay have the need to get in the last word, it is yours. I won't come back and take that from you.

You say I gave a "group hug" to those who agreed with me. Let me show you what I wrote at the end, in case you missed it:

To all of you who showed sympathy for those who came to the board needing a virtual hug, thank you.

Thanking the posters who displayed kindness to those in need is just that: a thank you. Do you see the distinction?

I also was careful to say the words were ugly, not the people who wrote them. I understand the volitile emotions during the hours and days following this terrible tragedy. I regretted - and still do - that some let their violent and hateful nature overcome their reason. I have every right to express my distaste for expressions of hatred and my admiration for words of calm and reason. (I was about to ask if you agreed with me, but that would be another question you felt a need to answer... and then we'd NEVER be done with this )

I think Amazing's illustration of being hit with a hammer is a good one. I don't think it's wrong to hit back if someone hits you with a hammer. Just don't go around hitting everyone you see with a hammer and hope eventually you find the right guy.

You say my post offended some. Expressing a strong opinion often causes those who disagree to take offense. If neither of us ever said anything, just because we thought someone might be offended, this would be a very bland board. From what I have read of your posts, Danny and TeeJay, I don't think either of you operate on that premise.

Sincerely offered,
    Wasasister

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit