the good, the bad, the ugly and the weird

by wasasister 67 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Dear Friends:

I’ve taken a few days to post, having a need to sort out my thoughts and watch the coverage along with my co-workers, family, and neighbors. I’ve also read your posts over the past 48 hours and seen many of the same reactions as the population in general.

I could sum your responses by likening them to what we witnessed on Tuesday – evil villains, great heroes, voices of calm reason, voices spewing hate, spiritual comfort, religious extremism. They say disasters like this bring out the true nature of us all, and if that is correct, some have reason to be proud and others should hang their heads in shame.

These acts of terrorism were perpetrated by individuals who believe in a cause. Some of us would try to explain what leads people to such extremes, and this is not at all a moot point. If we are to curb such behavior, we must understand what makes it happen. Others demand instant justice, even if their view of justice is acted out hastily and without rational thought. The vast majority of us feels helpless and tries to come up with ways to contribute in meaningful ways. People line up to donate blood, prayers are offered, funds are donated to relief efforts. Heroes will emerge – firefighters and rescue workers who risked and gave up their own lives to save others; people on doomed flights who may have prevented their planes from becoming weapons; men and women who worked around the clock at hospitals.

In reading your posts, I see both extremes and much in between. I saw wild speculations early on spouting odd-ball conspiracy theories. The government of the United States allows or even launches an attack against its own citizens effectively bringing the entire country to a standstill in order to stimulate the economy? Read reports on how much this is going to cost the airline industry, not to mention the rebuilding of the financial center of the free world and see if that makes any sense at all.

I read people angry with each other and typing in all caps to “SHUT YOUR F**ING MOUTH!!” We come here needing contact with our fellow humans and this is what we say to each other? I’m ashamed.

I read those educated in engineering helping to explain the structure of the buildings and why they collapsed the way they did. I saw others expressing their grief and sorrow and reaching out in love.

The truly ugly:

I hope you are drug out and executed for saying what you said about homosexual people...
    posted by someone who is capable of both extreme sensitivity and sudden outbursts of great anger.

I have a gun ready to blow any terrorist to shreds. Prepare yourselves as well…
    posted by someone who is so mentally unbalanced they should be reported to the authorities.
    I think that we should make Afghanistan a glass parking lot tomorrow
    posted by someone who should know better.
    The good:
    I would like to address briefly one thing about the response from some of my fellow JWs, though, which disturbs me…It’s the matter of whom we pray for, and are concerned about…. However, love, care and concern should then extend much further than that. It should extend to others, really all who were affected. So, let’s pray for everyone who was negatively affected by this tragedy, not just fellow Witnesses. There are scores of grieving individuals out there right now, suffering indescribable agony. It’s true that many likely are not active worshipers of God. Likely, some affected don’t even believe in God. So what?
    posted by an apparently active Jehovah’s Witness
    Light candles in the windows tonight to show that we feel with
    America and the tragedy that have hit them. Light it for all the
    people who have lost their lives and for their family that now are
    left behind, especially for all the children who will not see their
    parents again….Let them see that we stand together…
    posted by resident curmudgeon and frequent America critic.
    The reasonable:
    How people think--their indoctrination--is the cancer, not the people themselves. You cannot kill thoughts with bombs and bayonets…
    posted by someone crying out for reasonableness instead of anger in reaction.

The saddest tragedy is the millions of innocent arab women and children who are about to die, believing it is Allah's will, when the sleeping giants from the west arrive with their electronic war machines and caravans of death, while their supposed spiritual leaders like Saddam Hussein, Moammar Quaddafi, Usama bin Mohammed bin Laden hide safely in their mountains, in their palaces and secret places, leaving their loyally blinded followers out in the open to
    face "democracy" when it comes!
    by yet another voice begging for restraint.
    And this by a newcomer:
    To those who feel that an “eye for an eye” and “tooth for tooth” is the appropriate response, maybe you might do well to look at how well this policy worked for Israel who daily lives with terrorist attacks and responds viciously. It is very ineffectual. Even if you sent in hit teams to murder all the known terrorists or make an overwhelming and shocking response (say nuke a city someplace) it won’t stop terrorism. It reminds me a lot of the drug war, you can make things difficult for the drug traffickers but you won’t stop it until you stop the demand for drugs.

To all of you who showed sympathy for those who came to the board needing a virtual hug, thank you. To all of you who showed restraint and asked for others to take a breath before spewing hatred to anyone in a turban, glad you’re here. To the people who call for violence, against your fellow posters or against your fellow-man, you’ve already lost this war. I feel sorry for you. Just like the scenes on my television on Tuesday, I’ve seen the best of times and the worst of times.

Staying tuned and hoping cool heads prevail,
    Wasasister

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I would really like to know who appointed you judge?

Take a closer look and realize this person said he wished homosexuals be drug out and executed. Perhaps the comment was simply made to make him realize how he was coming accross.

Do not make assumtions on the intent of a comment, when you do not truly know the source. The post was not made in anger and the sentence was taken out of context. Before you judge others, take into considerations of where they are coming from. My family is grieving right now for the friends they have lost, at the Pentagon and on a plane. Anybody capable of hate because someone is different is better off not being here. Thsi is my viepoint, but not an angry one. I am not an angry person, but can be misunderstood many times.

Anger stems from hurt - and why is that way so wrong? Why is your way of dealing with things and feelings so right? Who are you to judge right from wrong? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth - people get what they ask for. Period.

Calling people ugly and making cruel assumptions makes you ugly. And I mean that in the nicest sort of way.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'm eating your fudge right now and loving you more and more with every bite.

Thank you, wasa. You are the greatest.

I have about 90 e-mails in my box since last week that I have not answered, so I'm a lazy jerk and I'm thanking you in front of the entire world on this board.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• wasasister
    wasasister

Farkel: so glad you made it home safely and that you are enjoying the treat. It would have been much better when fresh, but oh well. I'm pleased.

Moe: I don't judge you at all, nor do I think my way is superior. When you say someone should be taken out and executed, it indicates great anger. I've seen this from you many times. I've also see you be kind and compassionate. You're one of the true enigmas of this board, at least to me.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

A person passes judgment whenever a comment is made either with praise or condemnation.

You may assume if you would like that my comment was made in "great anger," but it was not. I was making a statement. Often times comments here are blown out of context and overly examined. Everyone that knows me personally knows I am not an angry person. You just don't see where I am coming from or why I say what I say. Your comment was an attack to some posters on this board and you stated I was "truly ugly." This is actually quite funny. You don't even know me.

Again - thanks for passing judgement without even gathering all of the facts.

Were you ever upset by the fact that someone said cruel comments to those whom you considered friends? I consider jonjon and joelbear freinds - so the comment made that they needed to be executed sickened me. Would I really have this person executed? For heaven's sake no. Quit taking things so seriously and lighten up.

• wasasister
    wasasister

It's very interesting that you of all people are advising me to "lighten up." I've not seen that from you. Your posts are among the more passionately stated; in the brief time you've been posting here, you've expressed your beliefs stridently and often peppered with colorful language.

I think as you grow and mature as a person, you will learn to temper your passion and direct it in useful ways.

I wish you well.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

WHAT WAS REALLY SAID:

Nightmare: Joel I don't understand what you mean, but I think homos should be executed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MrMoe: It is comments such as these that made me rethink my position on using this board. If you would like to make nasty comments please go to the adult forum -- or better yet -- go stay at Usama bin Laden's house or Saddam's house.

This way - you will get bashed - either by us verbally or by the US in a much more physical way. You are no different than these creeps who killed innocent people in a so called "holy war" on behalf of God.

How much do you all want to bet this creep lives in the US or at least part of a country within the United Nations?

If you don't like us, I will pay to ship you to a third world country if you would like. A one way ticket on the nearest plane scheduled for a hijacking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note that nightmare is no longer an authorized poster. His privledges have been revoked.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

<Everyone that knows me personally knows I am not an angry person.>

What!!!!

you're joking, right?

22:16:37> MrMoe: Fuck yeah I have a temper ...... alot of bottle up rage

>22:19:50> MrMoe: my husband gave me a badd ass temper

you're joking, right?

dungbeetle...cleaning up the crap.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Again - more attacks on my character. Oh, please sop - yu are hurting my feelings. "Pepper" myself according to your wishes? I don't think so dear - I live in the USA - it's a free country hun. I am who I am - and no goodie-two-shoes is gonna change me, that's for sure.

Smile - Jesus loves you.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Wasasister,

It would be nice to really believe what you are espousing. Who among us(even those you condemn) would really argue with your basic premise.
    You have like jw's are so want to do, just generalized each of the poster's you have taken acception to, into the catagory of 'good or evil'. Even if you did not intend to, that is your obvious intent.

If you can overlook so easily the profanity, and direct abuse, many of your friends on this board so easily, 'well because they are hurting, well because they have life issues' has been your appolgy, then why can't you see the explosive nature of this catastrophic event. If there was any time to overlook emotional responses, or different viewpoints now, more than ever before IS THE TIME.

I just finished listening to Billy Graham's son, who has effectively taken over his father's ministry. If you would like to group him in with all the evil ideas you so arrogantly pressume, do so. Here is a man who has attracted thousands to hear his message, has walked and talked the talk, set up missions in Arab countries, hospitals and the like. But if you heard him, he unreservedly backed a swift and decisive 'war' of retribution against all those involved. No words of caution to be careful, no words indicating the evilness of killing.

Something that seems to be hard for all of us ex-jw, former paradise seeking, very idealistic personalities, to accept is this simple fact:

There is a time and place for everything under the sun. A time to live and a time to die. A time kill or be killed.

It's not pretty, it doesn't fit our concept of what is good and right,but the reality is that it is a fact of life.

Sure you can claim pacifisim, never lift your hand against any fellow man. Your choice. But to condemn other's for seeing the way the world really is, and the way we must fight back with real measures, that will stop insane conduct, is to place your idealism as some form of new religion. Many have already tried that, works for awhile, but usually it all ends up, just like any other religion...some will follow, but the majority may never see it your way.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit