Why does god allow suffering?

by GBSJG 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TopHat
    TopHat

Evil pops-up out of nowhere....the lastest being a man who seemed to be normal goes and shoots 10 and kills 5 Amish children with the intent of molesting them no less. That is to me, pure evil. Unexplainable!

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I have twirled this question around in my head so many times.....I've finally arrived at a conclusion that I am at peace with (this has the potential of driving you crazy if you let it). Now these are just my thoughts everyone is free to believe what they want....I believe that we are all spiritual beings that chose these physical bodies so we can experience all the facets of being a human, but ultimately when our physical bodies die we once again connect to the Creator whether it is called God, some Superior Conciousness, or whoever, and we can choose to come back in another body to experience another life. I believe that whatever goes on here on earth is only temporary and does not affect our final destination I think we all go to the same place and I don't believe there is a hell bad people go to , since I know the concept of hell is a human invention. If evil did not exist how would we know what goodness is?, if suffering did not exist how would we show compassion? I agree with Brigid that there has to be a balance, the ying and yang thing. If what happens here does not matter in the long run, then that would explain why the Creator does not intervene, if our ultimate existence is safe then it doesn't matter. In this reality we can choose to fight evil, and we can choose love over hate, the decision is ours to make. Those are just my thoughts, since no one really knows until we get there.... from all the stuff I have read, those are the conclusions I have arrived at, and I feel very happy and at peace.

IC

• ballistic
    ballistic

Thing is, only 100 years ago in both Britain and America and other civilised societies, people died from many common ailments which are now taken for granted whether it be TB or a tooth absess, or many other examples. We are in many ways detached from a world which was seemingly cruel and infant deaths common. And yet at the same time, we have seen a decrease in these societies in belief in God and not vice versa. The average mortality has increased at an unbelievable rate. But churches are empty. Why?

• TopHat
    TopHat
    And yet at the same time, we have seen a decrease in these societies in belief in God and not vice versa. The average mortality has increased at an unbelievable rate. But churches are empty. Why

Why...because of the discovery of penicillan

• ballistic
    ballistic

penicillin? errr, no, I'm implying that the need for god is greater in a time of personal distress, and although we were bought up to believe the world is constantly getting worse, we are actually all living longer and more prosperous lives, despite the kids on your street corner annoying you.

• TopHat
    TopHat

It is true most of us are living high on the hog and living longer dispite eating out at Mickey Dees and the Pizza place on a regular basis. But YOU are talking about first world countries...Third world countries don't have have that advantage. They are just to busy trying to survive and stay alive.

God has lost most peoples interest because they have to many other distractions to keep them busy what with the invention of the telephone, cellphone, television, video games. How can God compete with Jerry Springer?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes, that is truly a part of it TopHat. But learn a little about how people lived in the 1800s, you will be very suprised. For example my great granparent was one of 13 children and the fact that 3 died back then was "acceptable". Have you looked into your family tree?

• TopHat
    TopHat

I understand completly. That was the way of life back then....they knew nothing of the many cures we have now for sickness they had no power over. Many people could not even read the Bible. God did give good advice to the Isarelites on cleaness and washing of hands and so forth long before we knew of how bacteria can make one sick and die from toxin build-up. America was in the Dark ages back in the wild wild west. The cites were dirty with filth. People got sick and didn't know why!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit