Are Jehovah's Witnesses communists?

by ozziepost 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

i have seen jan haugland describe the left-right divide in politics as being a loop, rather than a line, and the nutty leftwingers meet up with the nutty rightringers somewhere around the back. this is very true, i think. as for the dubs, the thing that occured to me is that they claim to have all the answers to all the problems, and in this they sound more left wing than right.

• barry
    barry

My first wife allmost became a JW and she commented a number of times to me that JW literature is just the same as communist literature

• Taythan
    Taythan

I agree with GaryBuss, The JW's system is far more closely related to Facism than it is to Communism.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Lets see what follows on your thread - James

G'day James!

Yep, interesting responses.

Seems to me that a lot is based on perception rather than reality. My musings were simply that, since I well know the theory of communism having studied Marxism at university under the tuteleage of a professor who was a renowned expert on the subject.

(Please note: Daniel-p:

Perhaps you should do some real research about what communism is

The claims about fascism bely the nature of what we know of communism which surely has had all the halllmarks that we claim for fascism. IMO the world has never seen communism.

I still wonder though at what the WTS seeks to convey in their illustrations on what they perceive "the paradise" to be.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Seems to me that a lot is based on perception rather than reality. My musings were simply that, since I well know the theory of communism having studied Marxism at university under the tuteleage of a professor who was a renowned expert on the subject.

(Please note: Daniel-p:

Well, your initial inquiry did not really reflect the musings of a person educated along these lines. In my opinion, the jw's don't resemble a communist state in the slightest and I have yet to see any strong evidence to support the claim.

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and remember that JWs said that communism meant that property was held in common, that individuals did not individually own land or houses.

They would point to the scripture below where it said that each person would have his own home and fig tree.

(Isaiah 65:21-23) . . .. 21

And they will certainly build houses and have occupancy; and they will certainly plant vineyards and eat [their] fruitage. 22 They will not build and someone else have occupancy; they will not plant and someone else do the eating. For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be; and the work of their own hands my chosen ones will use to the full. 23 They will not toil for nothing, nor will they bring to birth for disturbance; because they are the offspring made up of the blessed ones of Jehovah, and their descendants with them.
  • gumby
    gumby

"...and each one will sit under his own vine and fig tree"

See there, totally independent!

Gumadise

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Grumblestiltskin:

"...and each one will sit under his own vine and fig tree" See there, totally independent!

And this is what intrigues me. On the one hand, it appears they are speaking of each person leading an individual life with freehold title of property and yet the illustrations seem to show a group style of living. Does it appear in that illustration on the leaflet for example that a group society is not envisioned? Look closely at who is where and what they're doing - the same type of illustration appears in the Enjoy Life brochure and so on.

So according to the visual evidence, do they really look forward to living under their own vine and fig tree?

OK, it intrigues me, that's all. For me, I think the Witnesses have degraded the christian hope, but that's another story.......

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Imagine if the New System was a reality and they dictated all JWs was to live in specially built apartment complexes or communes. Their pictures do seem to make it look a little like communal living, much like a retirement home.

• gumby
    gumby

Ozmeisterbastard
    And this is what intrigues me. On the one hand, it appears they are speaking of each person leading an individual life with freehold title of property and yet the illustrations seem to show a group style of living.
    In all honesy Ozzmeister, the by far majority of the witnesses description of life on a paradise earth is with single families together such as parents in the back round of their daughter petting a lion, others show a couple who are friends walking together with fruitbaskets in their hands, or just conversing while walking down a cobbletone path lined by lush vegitation, or a fewe men framing their brothers house. The point is, the picture in the tract you are speaking of, is not a true barometer of the witness view of life in the New System.
    Does it appear in that illustration on the leaflet for example that a group society is not envisioned?
    Nothing wrong with groups being together. Any christian literature portrays similar settings....heaven included. One thing to keep in mind is that they base their picture portayals of the New System from Old Testement scriptures in which they believe has a twofold meaning with the latter fold representing life on a paradise earth.
    So according to the visual evidence, do they really look forward to living under their own vine and fig tree?

Id say yes, they do. I did and so did/do most witnesses.

OK, it intrigues me, that's all. For me, I think the Witnesses have degraded the christian hope, but that's another story.......
    Lets say they believed in the "christian hope". How would you see the pictures now Ozzie. Angels bowing to Jesus with crowns on their heads, or sitting on thrones judging people, or catering to gods needs with wings on their shoulders. Frankly, The new System looks a bit more inviting if I had to pick between the too......Luckily I don't. Gumozzytormentor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit