So can apostates attend jw weddings now?

by LeftBehind 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LeftBehind
    LeftBehind

I have been officially gone from the witnesses less than 2 months but I know they are always coming out with new light. I got a shock today when I was invited to a cousins wedding that will be held in a KH. I am not invited to the reception. What's up with that??? I fired the witnesses as my religion after I got sick of their witch hunt and were about to df me. I know sometimes df'd ones are invited to weddings but a known apostate? I am in shock that I was even invited and not sure why. I posted my your fired letter on the kh door for goodness sake. Maybe she wants a gift???

• earthtone
    earthtone

You took the words right out of my mouth....She just wants a gift

• blondie
    blondie

Usually, DF'd people can attend weddings in a KH just as they can attend meetings. They will expect you not to talk to JWs (though you could probably talk to non-JWs and irritate the crap out of the JWs) Probably any JW family will not be happy though. If that congregation has barred you from attending meetings at the KH, they probably will do the same at the wedding.

Because of the socializing and food at a reception, DF'd people are not invited to the reception by JWs which is considered a private by invitation event.

If you go to either, go with a bunch of non-JW relatives so they can see how rude JWs are to DF'd family.

Blondie

• Jourles
    Jourles

Scroll down to page 5...

http://www.reexamine.org/BOE/1988-05-15.pdf

Even though this is dated 1988, it is still used as a reference today.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

You posted it on the KH door? I LOVE THIS! I only wish I had done the same thing. I am very, very impressed!

• parakeet
    parakeet

They want the gift, and they want the pleasure of being able to snub you.

• blondie
    blondie
    Maybe she wants a gift???

Take it with you to the reception and give it to her personally and see what happens.

It all depends on you.......how well do you know her..........would you have sent a gift before you DA'd........what kind of contact has she had with you since.......If she has shunned you.........why would she want a gift, after all it would probably be demonized.

Blondie

• free2beme
    free2beme

Yes, you can. In order to keep a tax exempt status as church must have an open to the public status. They can only warrant not having you there, if you do something to disturb the gathering.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I had a similar experience when my niece was to be married. I was invited to the wedding but not the reception. Only a jw could present an present an idea like this to you with a straight face. Fortunately the wedding fell through because I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it. I found it very insulting but at the same time very funny.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

In the UK, all wedding ceremonies must be open for anyone who wishes to attend, or they aren't legal.

I suppose it depends whether you think that the real event at a wedding is the party, and the ceremony is a trimming; or the real event is the ceremony, and the party is the trimming?

Also: while people attending a wedding usually want to give the bride and groom a gift, there is no obligation according to etiquette to give a gift.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit