Has anyone had Shingles???

by mama1119 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mama1119
    mama1119

Hello...

I was in the ER last night because apparently I have Shingles!!!!!!!! The Doctor said it is caused by stress, which re-activates the chicken pox virus that lays dormant in your system. So I guess I need to learn some stress management skills. The scary thing is, I am 25 weeks pregnant. I am on an anti-viral med that does not make me feel so hot. Has anyone else had these? What do you do for the insane itching and mind-numbing pain?????

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I got it once back when I was 23, doctor told me same thing (stress) well he did give me a topical ointment, some pills, it cleared up in about a week. I am sure he knows what meds to give you being pregnant. When I had it someone told me to eat some oranges, to pump up my Vit C.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I had them when I was 17, the worst pain ever. They were right along the waist where my jeans would rub against them all day long.

I recommend low waisted, loose pants and baking soda baths. Pat yourself dry afterwards, do not rub!

Mine was sooooo stress related. To this day when I am very stressed I get shooting nerve pain down both of my legs.

Dams

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have had shingles. In my case I caught it just as it was starting and so I avoided much of the excruciating nerve pain that shingles is capable if inflicting on its victims. One friend who had it worse than I said that it felt as though her skin was being stripped off and the raw flesh beneath was being roasted with a blowtorch. The pain can continue after the shingles has been "cured" because the protective insulation over the nerves becomes damaged and takes longer to recover.

Take your anti-viral medication as directed, but also consider supplementing that with Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE). This is a website for one manufacturer:

http://www.nutribiotic.com/

A word about the product - GSE liquid is more bitter than the bitterest Angostura ™ bitters. It is much easier to take the capsules. One bottle of the capsules will be all you need, taking one capsule 1- 3 times daily. If you are taking any other meds that are known to be incompatible with Grapefruit, get your doctor's advice before proceeding.

Many healthfood stores carry the products, or you can order directly on-line.

Shingles can erupt when the immune system is low, which can be either because of stress or because of advancing age-related physical decline.

I wish you well.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I had them when I was 17, the worst pain ever. They were right along the waist where my jeans would rub against them all day long.

I recommend low waisted, loose pants and baking soda baths. Pat yourself dry afterwards, do not rub!

Mine was sooooo stress related. To this day when I am very stressed I get shooting nerve pain down both of my legs.

Dams

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

A friend of mine had shingles around 12 years ago, and she nearly went out of her mind with the itching.

Mama, I really feel for you, remembering what she went through. I think Damselfly has given good advice there, from what I can remember of what my friend did. I hope you get over them soon

Linda

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Yes! I get them along my back at the "bikini" line after stressful situations! Which...lately have been often. But there is a direct correlation between outbreaks and stress. First it feels like a bad back ache...deep one...then there is red swelling and the area is hot to the touch. Then the blisters come up in clusters and then the itching which hurts to itch and insists on being itched! I use cortaid...something for regular skin itching which seems to help. The pain doesnt abate for a few days even after the blisters are gone. It sure is weird stuff.

Some people get them in their mouths! Trust your doctor to protect your baby but be proactive and read up on the medication he gives to you.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

I had shingles two years ago, in an unbroken arc on my right side. While it was not the worst pain I have ever experienced, it was almost intolerable & made sleep especially difficult. The antiviral medication (acyclovir) almost made me sick

Aloe vera gel helped alot. If the medication upsets your stomach (as it did mine), taking it with yogurt might help too..

Hope you are feeling better soon..

DR

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I only know older people who are in retirement homes that have had shingles. I didn't know young ones could get them. Boy you guys are all falling apart.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, had them on my back. I had to wear a bra and go to work. Baaaad pain. Mine was brought on by anxiety and extreme stress dealing with the wonderful, caring elders in the K. Hall. Does go away eventually, either by itself or by not going to stressful, anxiety-ridden meetings at the K. Hall where the loving elders are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit