Did you stop believing Armageddon is coming?

by plmkrzy 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

How many just stopped believing in the jw predictions/description of what Armageddon is all about?

I’ve met exjws that stopped believing in everything they were taught and I’ve met some that stopped believing in everything except Armageddon. I’ve heard comments like: “Boy won’t they be surprised when the day comes and they find out they aren’t the only ones surviving”. Or, “When Armageddon comes and they find out they were wrong”. I was talking to one ejw that still believes in Armageddon but not everlasting life in paradise conditions.

Some that stopped believing in anything that has anything to do with religion or the bible.

Do you still believe Armageddon will come? Ever?

Jere 25:29-FOR…I WILL CALL FOR A SWORD UPON ALL THE INHABITANTS OF THE EARTH, SAITH THE LORD OF HOSTS.

plm

• blondie
    blondie

I never hoped that Armageddon would come just to rescue me out of my problems. I always wanted to most people possible to listen and come in. That's one reason I pioneered. I also didn't care if it came in my lifetime and made myself a pain in the rear to many JWs when I pointed out that serving God was a lifetime thing not just till Armageddon. I would always let people know that Abraham knew he would not see the fulfillment of the promise in his lifetime, yet he was faithful till his end.

That irked many JWs. But true to form the WT works both sides of the street, speaks out of both sides of their mouth.

w01 8/15 p. 28 par. 12 Do Not Give Up in Doing What Is Fine ***

Once again, consider Abraham’s example. He built his whole life on faith in God’s promises, even though there was no chance that they would all be fulfilled within his lifetime. T rue, he lived long enough to see his son Isaac grow up. But it would be centuries before Abraham’s offspring could be compared to "the stars of the heavens" or "the grains of sand that are on the seashore." (Genesis 22:17) Abraham did not become embittered or discouraged, however. The apostle Paul thus said of Abraham and other patriarchs: "In faith all these died, although they did not get the fulfillment of the promises, but they saw them afar off and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land."—Hebrews 11:13.

w86 5/15 p. 17 Finding Delight in Jehovah’s Word ***

But remember, Abraham abandoned his home city and lived out his life in tents although he would never in his lifetime see the fulfillment of God’s promises.

w84 6/1 p. 14 par. 7 Now Is the Time for Zealous Service ***

Abraham had no hope that a Paradise would be restored on earth during his lifetime. Instead, he was told that his offspring would be afflicted for 400 years. Only at some distant future time would God’s promise be fulfilled that ‘by means of Abraham’s seed all nations of the earth would certainly bless themselves.

w84 6/1 p. 14 par. 7 Now Is the Time for Zealous Service ***

The fact that Abraham would see it not in his day but only in the resurrection did not diminish his faith, obedience and zeal in serving God.

• Twitch
    Twitch

It took a long time, but yes. If you mean a God caused global "cleansing" type of event. This coincided with my loss of belief in the Bible and God, naturally. I also stopped believing in demons and angels, things of the "spirit" realm, things that to me now are external symbols of our own personal conscious/subconconcious fears and desires, with the big A being the ultimate fear.

It would've happened sooner had I searched out xdub resources sooner than I did, but whatever.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hi blondie, I stopped listening to jw teachings of Armageddon for a few reasons but the main reason was due to the attitude that seemed to accompany it, that being exactly the essence of your post. It always struck a nerve with me that most jws, that I knew, seemed so concerned and preoccupied with behaving themselves because Armageddon was so close, just around the corner, rather then being concerned with behaving because it is just simply the right thing to do. The attitude struck me as quite self-centered.

Twitch

It would've happened sooner had I searched out xdub resources sooner than I did, but whatever.

Do you think you would still believe in religion or the bible if you had been anything other then a jw? Or was it the expierence as a jw that turned you off?

plm

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Honestly, even if I believed in god, I wouldn't believe in armegeddon at all.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I have gradually lost all belef in everything the jws taught. I think armageddon and the new system that would follow it was the first thing I stopped believing in. I don't even believe in god now.

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled

I do think it will come, but in God's time. If you do your best to live a Christian life and continue to study God's "real word" then I have confidence my family and I will be taken care of. After all, that is what the scriptures say.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Aside from many other inconsistencies & the basic immorality of Armageddon, I always had a big problem with the time frames involved.

OK, we first had the Jewish system, then came Jesus. Jesus dies...nearly 2,000 years go by. So, when was/is the "right time"? Wouldn't you think a long time ago? Every prophecy of an imminent time has failed up to this very day. For nearly 2000 years. Are we missing something?

What was the point of letting the Earth get completely polluted, overpopulated, make all kind of wars and revolutions, etc...nearly 2000 years of frustating human development for nothing except our destruction. Why the long delay? If this were for real, did Armaggedon get posponed just to get plenty of people (approx 4+Billion) to make the killing fields of the Lord's Day really of Biblical proportion? Why not bring it on immediately, like the legend says the "Flood" was done...

Even if you can accept the horrible lack of morality of this kind of destruction, such thoughts about the illogical time aspects led me to view this as a fable, like the flood, or Adam and Eve.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I still believe in Armageddon coming. Blondie hit the nail on the head with her comment. I used to get annoyed with other witnesses worshipping God just to be saved rather than serving him with the goodness of their hearts. I don't know about the rest of you, but I seen people come into the org for that particular reason, and they never change their obnoxious attitudes. So much for serving god out of love.

• Warlock
    Warlock

It's coming, but I'm not going to see it. MAYBE my kid will, but I won't.

Even if it did come in time for me to see, I will point the finger (index) back to the WTS and say "Those are the guys that cried Wolf for so many years. First they say they're inspired, then they're not inspired. Life was just a roller coaster. What was I supposed to do?".

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit