Did you stop believing Armageddon is coming?

by plmkrzy 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

My hope is that the whole world will become like the Mad Max trilogy, specifically the second one, The Road Warrior. And I think humans will be the ones to cause it.

• done4good
    done4good

It was probably one of the last things to go, but it finally did. Along with belief in god in general. I won't quite say I'm an atheist though. In fairness, I believe we have no way of knowing such things in the here and now.

j

• parakeet
    parakeet

I agree with SirNose. We humans don't need god to drop the big-A. We're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves with nuclear weapons, overpopulation, pollution, deadly viruses.

• Gopher
    Gopher

John seemed to be under some strange influence when he wrote the book of Revelation.

Armageddon is just as unreal as other visions in the book like wild beasts, the woman adorned with moon and stars giving birth to a child in heaven, etc., etc.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    We humans don't need god to drop the big-A. We're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves with nuclear weapons, overpopulation, pollution, deadly viruses.

Agreed.

The other possibility of course would be a "doomsday" asteroid. In astronomical terms and time frames, it's only a matter of time, as it has happened before. Perhaps such a thing could be attributed to the "will of God" however, should this such catastrophe (or any for that matter) actually happen, do you honestly think the "meek will inherit the earth"? IMO, the "Mad Max" scenario is far more likely with those that have the guns and willingness to use them being at the top of the new "society". The will to survive should not be underestimated. Lets not be naive.

I don't buy the God induced apocalypse with only the "good" and "meek" surviving.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Ironhead ,

I swear to god there is a sister in my ex-cong that, probably to this day, is waiting for the new system to come so she will no longer need plastic surgery to maintain a youthful appearance. I have no recollection of her being at all concerned with human suffering other then her own wrinkles. She is by far the most self-centered ex-friend I have ever known. I became so repulsed one evening by her ability to apply scripture to her own self-admiration that I told her to take a flying### and never spoke to her again. My only regret was loosing my cool with her and not handling it better. Obviously that isn’t the attitude of all jws, it is just one example of the selfishness of some and what really drives them to…do good. I think the wt relies on it.

plm

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Do you think you would still believe in religion or the bible if you had been anything other then a jw? Or was it the expierence as a jw that turned you off?

Good question but ultimately unanswerable, methinks. Lemme ponder it tho.

Have you seen the "The Butterfly Effect"?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Have you seen the "The Butterfly Effect"?

Yes I did. Forgive me, at the moment I don't catch the point but give me some time it might come to me. Probably while I'm sleeping.

• Twitch
    Twitch

(((plmkrzy)))

Sorry if i was vague; i tend to be. It's the reductionist in me, ;-) A butterfly in China turns left instead of right and it rains in NY instead of being sunny. Everything is connected, everything is dependant on everything else, ad infinitum. My point is that it's really impossible to know how things would've turned out had different choices been made for and by me, specifically here in regards to religious beliefs. Who knows what road would've been taken and who and what would've influenced me along the way? Was it the dubs and the doctrine that caused me to question it's validity as a result of some innate cognitive dissonance? Would I have questioned the doctrines of another religion as much and rebelled the same way, regardless if that religion was a more "accepting" one? (subjective) Or would I have found peace in being raised catholic, protestant, buddhist, etc? Is it just the way I am? Or because of what I experienced? Am I purely the result of my own experience or just a complex collection of chemicals reacting a certain way to external stimuli? I'll never know the answer to your question.

However, that being said, the experiance of being dub has caused me to gravitate towards some place between agnosticism and atheism, that much is true. I didn't stop at questioning just the dub version of christianity. The journey continues,.... Thanks for the thoughts. Good movie, btw
  • ellderwho
    ellderwho

I stopped believing in ' 75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit