Boycotting Israel

by Crumpet 42 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I see that quite a few are following the dreadful attacks in Lebanon. Today I went swimming to cool off with Mr C and we were discussing what ways we could make our disapproval and anger at Israels actions felt, besides being human shields. (Mr C reckons I'm big enough to stop one missile, but would be pretty useless after that. )

Anyway so we got to thinking about boycotting Israels goods like we did with France when they were doing nuclear wepaons testing - that was easy cheese and wine and fashion (admittedly couldnt afford much in terms of Parisian haut coutre anyway so this was a mental boycott only!).

But what does Israel produce that en masse we could boycott that would cause enough financial disruption to their country that they might reconsider their actions? We thought maybe they export olives or dates () but that was it...Cant think of anything else? If Israel were a guest at a party and I were to ask them what they did, what would they say other than bomb Lebannon?

What else does Israel produce and export? Anyone know? And would you feel strongly enough to boycott their goods? Does anyone else have any thought on the efficacy of boycotting ? Is it an empty gesture?

• glitter
    glitter

The first numbers on a barcode specify what country made the product. Israel's number is 729.

Fresh produce will have "Product of Israel" on it just like other countries are marked.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I can't remember buying any goods that originated in Israel lately, but I believe oranges are one of their main exports. I can't really think of anything else.

As for boycotting a countrys' goods, that can work if enough people join in, as in the sanctions imposed on South Africa in the early 1990's, but I suspect it would have to be a national or even international boycott to really achieve anything substantial.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Virtually all the worlds diamonds go through Israel for one reason or another - don't boycott them because as every one knows diamonds are a girls best friend!

Anyway, Britain and America support Israels actions so should we boycott our own country? I think not.

Leave it to market forces.

• lowden
    lowden

Crumpet lass

Boycott Marks & Spencers, they have beeeeeeg connections. Never seen the pro-Palestinian demonstrations outside the stores??

Peace

Lowden

• Forscher
    Forscher

Thanks for the info on the barcode number for Israel. I might have more sympathy for the lebanese if they weren't supporting Hezbollah and allowing them to use their kids as shields. They've kind of brought this on themselves as far as I am concerned. So no boycott of Israeli products for me!
    Forscher

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

why don't you find a way to boycott Hezbollah?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Israel is not exactly the industrial nation of Japan, China and Taiwan. I am afraid that is not going to do anything. Israel is a very very wealthy country though.

• JH
    JH

The last king of the Nebuchadnezzar's statue was half clay and half Iron, which means that it was divided and made it weak. I'll keep this short....

• Auchmull

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit