Is This Discrimination ?

by Bstndance 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Yesterday, I received a notice of an arts grant available for people in urban areas. In reading the materials it stated (and i'm going to bold the same words the application did): Must be a person of Color from African, Asian, or Hispanic heritage. I was quite offended by this. To me it seemed like everyone can apply except caucasians. To me that feels like discrimination. Maybe someone understands something about this that I don't.

I know that if someone put out a grant for only people "not of color" (whatever that means) from European heritage there would be an outcry as there rightly should. I believe in equality and it must be enforced on all sides.

What are your thoughts?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

IMHO,

You're white? That's the only discrimination you face? You've got it good. Let it go.

LS<----Black and White

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Reverse discrimination. We are infested with it in Canada. Sucks to be .....jeez, I can't say that...It's discriminatory.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance
    That's the only discrimination you face?

I wish I could say that's the only discrimination I face. You know, if the grant was given by an organization that is dedicated to supporting African American art, Latin art, etc etc then it would be understandable. But this one isn't. It's kind of funny because the application doesn't ask anyone to send a picture.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

If you wanted to have some fun with them, you could tell them that blackness is a state of mind. Wear some black pride gear. If they want to exclude you, just say, "Why are you discriminating against the color of my skin? I'm blacker than you!!"

I don't know if you really wanted to take it that far, but it would certainly be funny.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Bstndance:

Yes, it's discrimination, specifically racial discrimination. You are considered ineligible for this grant because of your ethnic origin and the colour of your skin. Try not to be too upset about it though. They're not doing it because they hate white people, they're doing it because they think non-whites need a little bit of extra help to make it.

As long as it's not public money, I don't think it should be illegal. Individuals (and private organisations) should have the right to be racist, however offensive we may find that, but the government should not.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

It is definately descrimination but I agree with funkyderek, if it's private money they should be able to do with it as they please. This type of descrimination against caucasians (reverse discrimination if there is such a thing) is annoying but ultimately it has not been nearly as harmful as the descrimination people of other races and ethnicitys have faced. When is the last time you were pulled over because you were a white person in a crappy car? When was the last time a black lady crossed to the other side of the street because she was afraid you might mug her? When was the last time a conveniance store clerk followed you around because he thought you might steal something? It's sad & don't agree with it but it's a fact of life.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

lost_light06:

(reverse discrimination if there is such a thing)

There isn't. It's discrimination. As an example, the vast majority of domestic violence cases involve a man physically abusing a woman. Occasionally though, men are the victims of domestic violence at the hands of their wives or girlfriends. This is not "reverse domestic violence", it is certainly not "positive domestic violence", it is domestic violence and is wrong for exactly the same reason as the more common kind.

The same is true with racism against white people. It may be rarer (although institutionalised racism against black people has been completely wiped out in the USA, while institutionalised racism is probably increasing) but it is still wrong for exactly the same reasons.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

SirNose586 that is so funny.

At the end of the day, it's not worth causing a stink over. There are other grants out there and I have bigger fish to fry. Maybe I'm suffering from no myspace syndrome like RichieRich. This x-jw board is my only rant outlet right now.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Yeah I meant that tongue in cheek. Actually “reverse discrimination” as I have been described it is when you are overly nice to someone of a different race simply because of their race. For example: Your in a pissy mood, not smiling at anyone, suddenly you see a black person in front of you and you give them a big smile along with a “how are you sir”. You are discriminating against them, treating them differently than others, because of their race. This is something I myself have been guilty of, and work hard to correct, because I grew up in a nearly all-white area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit