Is This Discrimination ?

by Bstndance 18 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    You know, if the grant was given by an organization that is dedicated to supporting African American art, Latin art, etc etc then it would be understandable.

I think that the university or organization that sent out that letter must be seriously underrepresented of those races. They must have more than enough Whites and twice as many grants for Whites. Whites can get grants for being Catholic, being Irish, being Polish, being a member of this or that organization, and so on and so forth. I bet if you were to contact that college or organization and to ask for a list of scholarship or grants sponsored by them that you would be suprised.

I always get mad because they don't have enough grants for old Black ladies that dropped out of grad school.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Oh yeah! Have you ever heard the terms the "new N-word's" and "sand Nword's". Have you ever went to your nearest college to see who's walking around there?

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Well everyone is of African descent going back far enough. If they didn't state a timescale on ancestry take them some biological evolutionary proof from someone like Prof Dawkins

• Bstndance
    Bstndance
    Have you ever went to your nearest college to see who's walking around there?

The college I attend is mostly hispanic and armenian. It's in the heart of the San Fernando Valley. Listening when they take roll sounds like a foreign language tape. Usually the students with the most american sounding names are african american. I like the diversity though. It makes school more interesting and not like an episode of The O.C.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I guess a lot of people must feel like you do.

Colleges open scholarships and grants to everyone

Threats of lawsuits, pressure from feds force schools to make aid available to all students.

Jonathan D. Glater / New York Times

Michigan impact

• The University of Michigan revised its undergraduate admissions policies. The school provides scholarships aimed at particular race, gender or ethnic groups, however all students may apply, officials said.
    "To my knowledge the University of Michigan does not fund programs where only racial minorities are eligible," said Marvin Krislov, vice president and general counsel for U-M.
  • Wayne State University and Oakland University don't have race or gender specific scholarships.

Facing threats of litigation and pressure from Washington, colleges and universities nationwide are opening to white students hundreds of thousands of dollars in fellowships, scholarships and other programs previously aimed at minorities.

• Southern Illinois University reached a consent decree last month with the Justice Department to allow nonminority students and men access to graduate fellowships originally created for women and minorities
    • http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060317/SCHOOLS/603170333

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Bestndance, here's one for you:

C. Jules and Martina K. Rominger ScholarshipThis scholarship is endowed by Dr. Jules Rominger and his wife, Martina. Dr. Rominger was a former Medical Director of the Radiation Therapy Technology program. It will be awarded with preference tos tudents showing evidence of financial need, enrolling in an allied health program, especially in radiation therapy with a secondary preference given to a student enrolling in nursing. Preference will also be given to an Irish student or a European foreign student. A full scholarship may be awarded for two years or a partial scholarship for four years

http://www.gmc.edu/i_services/financial_aid/scholarships/index.html

• Grace
    Grace

Where I come from, this is the standard hiring practice of the government. If you're white, forget it! You needn't apply. I have seen people with far fewer qualifications and experience soar to great heights in upper management because of their ethnicity. And the government is very open about it in their advertising campaigns. They target specific non-white groups openly.

Grace

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Plessy v. Ferguson was an 1896 Supreme Court case where Homer Plessy was 7/8 WHITE. Plessy had to convince the train conductor to arrest him for sitting in the white section. The conductor did not think that Plessy was black, as he did not look black. This case established the "seperate but equal" laws which was the "norm" unitl the 1960's.... So, if you're 1/8 a minority, I'd say that you are legally a minority.

I "bet" the whitest, ass southern boy has some black in him, the most olive skinned Italian has some northern african.....and the blackest Afro-American has some white genes in him. We are all interrelated, especially in this country.

Answer the question to your best interest - $$$$!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Sounds like discrimination, but they call it positive distrimination here.

If you are originally non european you have more change in working for the police and some other government positions.
    Same as you are a woman.

Also it is spoken about a law that large companies should have workers that refelct the society. So same percentage od woman, homosexuals, non europeans, disabled persons etc.

It is good in many ways, but still discrimination

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit