Looking for sources as to number who left JWs from 1975 to 1980

by cabasilas 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'm looking for sources as to the number of JWs who left the Organization from 1975 to 1980. I realize that the information can be extrapolated from the published statistics but I'd particularly like to find a citable source that gives the information, especially from the news media. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I wouldn't know where statistics of that kind would be available, but may I suggest you contact Danny Haszard. He has a knack for coming up with unique bits of information the rest of us can't seem to find.

www.dannyhaszard.com

Or you might try Randy Watters at...

[email protected]

Hope this helps.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/1975.html

Detailed analysis of Dutch 1975 figures.

Slim

• James Free
    James Free
    I realize that the information can be extrapolated from the published statistics

That method is almost impossible. Although you can consider the number of baptisms there are other factore involved. 1. Deaths 2. Some baptised were previously already counted as unbaptised publishers. 3. New unbaptised publishers who may or may not stay with the Org after a few months.

Then there are the children. They do not truly represent growth from 'preaching', and the average age goes up and down according to the fashion of the moment. It used to be recommended to wait, but now it's not uncommon for 8 year-olds to be accepted for baptism.

Some mention the once-given figure of 40,000 who were disfellowshipped one year, but it did not count all the people who faded away or disassociated themselves. Between the dates you mentioned, some countries lifted bans and reporting became more accurate and showed an increase when one did not really exist.

The stats are just not there. All that can be said for sure is that overall growth has almost stopped, and is in decline in Internet-enabled countries.

• Honesty
    Honesty

2 of my friends who live in Prague 13 told me last night at church that the JW's have a huge new Kingdom hall around the corner from them with 300-400 at every Sunday A.M. meeting. I think it is the only KH in Prague 13, which has over 60,000 residents. That is if I understood them correctly.

That means the jw's are not doing too well in Eastern Europe.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The estimate that seems most credible is 1 million left.I can remember that era like yesterday,after the 75 failure you could get away with murder and not be disfellowshipped for the next 4-5 years this was the case.They also strung us along with the "Adam's addendeum" rhetorical question of "how long did it take Adam to name the animals"?

I was very sick with ulcerative colitis and was desperate to latch on to any hope.

...come 1980........and then kabam the introduction of the "apostate" and the infamous Bethel purges

I tell you the truth for the years 1976 to about 1984 the most common long time no see meet & greet exchange among dubs was "we never thought we would still be living in this system"

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for the info and link.

I came across an article from the Los Angeles Times in 1982: "Defectors Face 'Witness' Wrath" that discusses the larger number of baptisms from 1971-1981 (1.71 million) versus the net increase in publishers (approx 736,000) for the same time period.

Just wondering if anyone knows if that article is online anywhere?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I left in 1977 but I doubt I was included in any stats.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What ever numbers you look at do not address specific issues:

How much of the growth comes from children of witnesses and how much comes from recruitment?

How much of the reported time is totally bogus and made up?

Until the numbers are audited from that perspective, they are meaningless

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Oh they found a reason to DF me around that time! 78-79 * pregnant out of wedlock* I think? or maybe it was the fact that the doctors gave me blood when I was unconcious from losing blood during childbirth?? I`m evil, shame on me! right?!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit