Society selling 9 properties in New York

by Bonnie_Clyde 17 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i got word last year of an area in upstate NY that they were looking into moving the brk facilities ... an no it was not patterson or wallkill. stay tuned!

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Lady Lee

My wife and I were only talking about this in the car today and we concur with you , that,s what we thought when we heard they were selling a while back!

Steve

• blondie
    blondie

It has been suggested several times that the WTS would sell most if not all their properties in NYC and move to Patterson and Wallkill. Personally, I think that was the plan ever since Patterson was conceived.

Watchtower owns 29 properties in Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO including 21 residential buildings ranging from brownstones to apartment buildings.

Nothing in Google News yet.

Blondie

• carla
    carla

Big news! a small stash of miracle wheat seeds were found and will feed the multitudes of jw workers!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Or, it could simply be a business decision.

They are occupying extremely expensive real estate for what is essentially a manufacturing and administrative center. They can sell the property for a huge amount of money, build brand new facilities in a cheaper location, and redeploy the excess capital somewhere else - either put it to work, or invest it.

Now, I hope they are short of cash and are liquidating property to survive, but I doubt it.

It actually sounds like a pretty common sense piece of business to me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I remember Barbara Anderson's tales of discovery as she sifted through older documents of the society. I have a professional interest in what happens to the oldest records of the WTBTS. Typically when a big organization like this moves, they discard a lot of their old papers. A lot of history might be about to be lost.

• Gerard
    Gerard

The official term "non-profit organization" includes any association, corporation, trust, cooperative, or other organization (excluding educational institutions and hospitals) that:

• Is operated primarily for service, charitable, scientific, or similar purposes in the public interest
    • Is not organized primarily for profit
    • Uses its net proceeds to maintain, improve and/or expand its operations

The WT fails miseably at poin #1 and #2. Just like Al Capone -the famous mobster- the downfall of the WT might be by tax evasion.

• breeze
    breeze

I remember hearing this last year. I am not clear on how many sites that were on the selling block?

Other points:

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society...nothing in their title suggests their goals. It seems they would have change it to the "Teachers of Gods Will" or the "The Kingdom Proclaimers Org.". It states their ultimate goal honestly in the title, selling of books and phamplets.

The Watchtower society has millions if not billions stashed away in othe corporations. This has been one of my hangups ever since I heard about it. I don't undstand why they would hoard this money when they have millions of servants struggling to make it every day and CO & DO's that rely on the local congregations for food and clothes.

WTBTS has a short term outlook for the R & F but their actions speak a different tune. Why even rebuild the facilities in a different location out of the city? They believe the end is still a long ways off, except in the teachings.

The end can't come until all of the political systems of the Earth turn against religion. This is not happening quickly enough so they continue to build and profit while they ones/brothers in many lands have nothing to wear or eat.

I am starting to ramble, sorry.

BREEZE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit