Small, but meaningful, moments of joy...

by daystar 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• daystar
    daystar

In my office building we have a cafeteria that is run by another company. There is this one Mexican woman who has just the most pleasant demeanor, every day. She greets everyone with a smile and a "how are you today, my friend?". But, she also will frequently sing! Since she's worked with us, the rest of the crew all seem happier. And I'm certain she's uplifted us patrons with her friendliness and her beautiful singing, even if we don't understand the words. Well, I at least always step lighter after refilling my coffee.

Sometimes we forget how we have such an influence on those around us. As surely as a person such as our cafeteria songbird can lighten the hearts of all those around her, a person exuding negativity ("bad vibes") can bring the hearts of those around down.

When people say "we are all connected", this is the sort of thing that is meant, though many believe it means much more. These are the sorts of "subtle energies" some people speak of... the influence one person's demeanor can have on another, either naturally or purposefully.

Today, will you choose to lighten the hearts of those around you? Or will you choose to darken them?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Once, a job on which i worked, there was a carpenter who wou8ld break out in song, every now and then. It also had a positive influence.

S

• FMZ
    FMZ

Daystar.. hear! hear!

It really is the small things that matter. It takes so little energy and effort to give someone a compliment, to encourage them, just to put a smile on their face, and yet it can make their day.

THIS is what we should strive for on a daily basis... even if we aren't feeling the love for ourselves. As mentioned in a previous thread of mine... When we put the love, the positivity out there for everyone to freely accept, it tends to come back to us tenfold.

We can all be the beacon that this woman is... all it takes is to let your light shine.

KJ

• anakolouthos
    anakolouthos

There are some pretty jolly folks at my job too, daystar. A sincere smile from someone can really help me on a crappy day. I always try to stay positive too. I like your post a lot. It's easy to overlook how much of an impact a simple act or a happy demeanor can have on those around us. I think this can sometimes have a "butterfly effect" if others are receptive to our joy, sending ripples of happiness to all involved.

Shucks, i'm feeling all warm & fuzzy now.

• daystar
    daystar
    Shucks, i'm feeling all warm & fuzzy now

Case in point!!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Here's something I will never forget: In my teens, I was hospitalized to have my wisdom teeth taken out. My roommate was a tiny, bird-like woman who slept a lot. When I was taken back to my room after the surgery, the doctor told me I needed to drink a lot of water to help with the post-op recovery. This was my first hospital stay, and I was in total misery with the pain and swelling.
    As I lay suffering in my bed, some doctors came in to talk to my roommate. They told her that her cancer was inoperable and that they were going to send her home as there was nothing more they could do. The rest of that day until she went home, she was at my bedside every hour to make sure I was drinking enough water.
    It was only after I grew up that I realized what a selfless and generous thing that lovely woman did for a thoughtless teenager.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Wow, this is so weird because I just experienced something like this this morning. I have been going through some good amount of pain related to missing loved ones (although, paradoxically (sp?) I have also been experiencing unbounded joy from other sources--new found freedom and connections). This morning I was sitting in my office before anyone got there and weeping at my desk in a quiet moment. This was really really early. The "cleaning lady", Rho discovered me and we just chatted and I spilled all my baggage to this lovely, wise stranger. She left and came back a little while later with roses and a beautiful card signed "Rho, the cleaning lady"--I said, you are an angel to me this morning and we embraced as sisters, though this is the first time we've ever met, we connected and I was warmed by her radiant Light. And no doubt, I will pay it back either to her or someone else who finds themselves weeping and fearful.

Great thread!

~Brigid

• damselfly
    damselfly

I try my hardest to make my co-workers feel better about how their days are going. One girl gets so upset over everything and can drag the rest of down so quickly. Luckily I discovered that jolly ranchers make her squeal with joy. LOL! It's true, so I always keep some in my pocket for her.

I find a lot of seniors respond really well to this tpye of thing. Little things like letting them go ahead of you in the checkout lane, or asking them if they think the oranges are good this time of year. makes their day to have someone speak to them kindly and listen to what they have to say.

Dams *spreading sunshine*

• Quandry
    Quandry

Daystar

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. When my teenage daughter was disfellowshipped by harsh, unloving, unmerciful men and accused of things she didn't do, lied to, told God viewed her as filth, and she would burn in the lake of fire with the devil and his angels, well, I wanted to die.My entire family was in this shape for over a year. However, though those who professed to show Godly love did not, there were others that helped us to live.

My boss where I work sends a message to all employees once a week. He includes quotes that are uplifting and encouraging. He never fails to thank us for our work or tell us how he appreciates what we do, and the way we do it. He views us as worthwhile persons. I wrote to him, telling him what had happened to our family. I told him everything, and thanked him for his weekly messages to us. I told him how he had actually helped my family to survive. I felt that he should know what a contribution he had made to our lives. Although he is over many, many people, he personally came to the location that I work at to give me an encouraging letter. He sympathized with my family, and said that he admired us because we still seemed to retain our faith even in the midst of our trials. He deplored what these men had done-he reiterated that they had no right to condemn a child as though they were speaking for God.

I have told my daughter often, in the dark of night, when she told me that she no longer wanted to live because of what these men had done to her, that Jesus died for everyone, and that every person has the right to live.

A few lines from Whitman express this:

"O me, O life of the questions of these recurring

Of the endless trains of the faithless

Of cities filled with the foolish

What good amid these O me, O life?

Answer: That you are here

That life exists and identity

That the powerful play goes on

and you may contribute a verse."

Each one of us is immesurably important--I, for my part, have resolved never to be like those men, but to strive to make the lives of all around me happier, better, if only by a word or small deed.

Thank you to all who posted here with similar thoughts. You also, by being on this forum, have made my life more bearable.

• daystar
    daystar

Quandry

Thanks for that piece of Walt! I'll share with the rest the fullness of that verse:

O ME! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
    Of the endless trains of the faithless—of cities fill’d with the foolish;
    Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
    Of eyes that vainly crave the light—of the objects mean—of the struggle ever renew’d;
    Of the poor results of all—of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
    Of the empty and useless years of the rest—with the rest me intertwined;
    The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?
    Answer.
    That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
    That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit