Ever work for Witnesses?

by free2beme 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

I observed a situation in the cong. where an MS was a professional auto mechanic. He was a very easy going, quiet kind of guy. He was constantly being approached for free advice and this, of course, led to him doing work on fellow JW's cars in the eves and weekends. He never charged for his time, just the cost of parts. One elder in particular took advantage of this with his 3 vehicles. He was able to afford a regular shop but he couldn't resist brother freebie. It led to an ugly situation where some work got very involved and expensive and he took the MS before two others (me being one) to invoke Matt. 18. I took the MS bros. side and told the elder right in front of all that I thought he had been taking advantage. The MS quit going to meetings and was removed. Ugly, tacky situation.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I did briefly as a teen, got my cheque, it promptly bounced and my mom told him not to worry about ever paying me for the work I had done.
    Never went back ;)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Gregor,

This happens quite a lot. My ex father-in-law was a mechanic, and he offered his services to the single parents and old JWs for the cost of the parts only. Well, a very well-to-do Elder got wind of the fact that he was helping these groups out, and began to sniff around to see if he could work done on his Cadillacs. My F-i-L said that he only does this for brothers and sisters that are having a hard time financially. THe Elder got his panties in a twist, and began talking about him to the other Elders in our Congo. This Elder wasn't even in the same Congo. as we were. Well, the Elders in our Congo. got involved and told my F-i-L, that he had to stop altogether. Their reasoning was that my F-i-L was fomenting strife in the Congo.

I was shocked at this. How a well-to-do Elder & bully have this much influence other a brother that was not in his Congo. and was actually fleshing out Scripture by helping the less fortunate brothers & sisters was beyond me. I spoke with a good Elder in the Hall and asked how this could have happened, and he said that there were other factors involved. The whole thing made me sick. The amount of petty jealousy that most of these prima donna elders have is gross.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings free2beme,

I did. It's one of the few things i count as favorable in my association with JW's. I still benefit to this day because of it. I'm self employed.

Dismembered

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I worked for my step-mom years ago...It was hell..first off I didn't like cleaning all those filthy ass houses (she owned a house cleaning service) while the dirty-uppers just sat around watching us clean...But it was 4 of us most times (her, another sister, my step-sister and me)...everyone else got paid the big money while I got a lil change because I was still in school and didn't have expenses yet....WTF!?! So I was doing as much work as them but getting paid less cuz of that..But once I graduated, I moved out cuz if I would have stayed there, it was understood that housecleaning with her was the only job I could have so that I could reg. pioneer.... never encouraged me to go to college...ok I'm getting angry now..and thats a whole nother thread...

Only good thing about it was I got to hear all the juicy gossip that her and the other sister would discuss...

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

I've worked for 4 different whitnesses in my Lifetime. Three were the biggest thieves I've ever known. The other one was the best person I worked for and would gladly work for again.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Man, if I had a dollar for every shade-tree JW mechanic being taken advantage of story....well I could afford to pay for auto work myself! I think JW's are the worst about taking advantage of others. I worked for an elder once doing construction work, he still owes me around 500 bucks; that was about 12 years ago think he'll ever pay me?

• juni
    juni

Bro. Elder was owner of gas station. Promises promises made to my husband. Elder broke every one and was a huge a****** on top of everything. A crook w/the money. Cheap. Lazy.

Talked to the elders about it and they turned their heads because he was popular.

Hubby quit and also another brother did too. Never again!

Juni

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yes, while I was a witness, I worked with many JWs. It was not bad.

However, I now have a secretary (temp) that is a JW and I am ready to string her up w/ all her JWisms and holier than thou attitude.

• free2beme
    free2beme

There was a lot of example of people working for Witnesses and taking advantage of the employers, as much as the employers taking advantage of them. Seems to be a common thread in the rest of the world too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit