At what point did the WTS become overly controlling?

by jambon1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

I used to hear about good `ol days when people were happy dubs. People had fun, did things together and it seems by the tone of the converstaions that there was less control over every tiny detail of the brothers lives.

I remember the 1st time someone told me as an unbaptised publisher that I would eventually be 'counceled' for not wearing a suit. I was utterly stunned! Why? That was my 1st reaction. Of course, I was on course for becoming a good dub so I went along with it.

Then there was beards, coloured shirts, jazzy ties etc, etc. It seems stupid now but they just wanted a say about EVERYTHING.

When did this change take place? Was there ever a time when things were`nt so controlling? Do you think that these rules eventually just make people say "I`ve had enough, Im off!"

J

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT

The true authoritarian-type rule of the Society really began with Knorr throughout his term as president. Rutherford was too busy trying to make a name for himself or he might have been a success in controlling the organization better. Russell, though, taught nothing even resembling what JW's teach today. Russell knew that each person's relationship was between them and God and that their works wouldn't buy them life.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Not sure exactly, but for sure by the late 60's things started to change. By 1970, it was another world.

• garybuss
    garybuss

It's been anal since I've been alive to see it. My first meeting that I remember was the District Assembly in 1949 when I was 5. It was VERY anti children then.
    The Watch Tower Society went south the hour Rutherford took over.
    It's been screwing people over and fighting inside and outside ever since.

• karen96
    karen96

I think there is a dual answer to this question:

1. Society-wise, I would agree when Knorr took over. The whole debacle at Bethel took place during his oversight.

2. On a personal level, I think the R&F go to great lengths to give their BS's the impression that free thinking is allowed. (Of course you should check all the references in the book, that is how you make the truf your own!). When someone becomes an unbaptized publisher, you start to get a sense of the controlling force going on.

Karen ( just my 2 cents)

• sir82
    sir82

I dunno, was there ever a time when they weren't controlling? Maybe you'd have to go back to the days of Russell for that.

I suspect that a goodly number of the the "in the old days, things were much better" threads are just plain nostalgia, the tendency to view nearly everything from the more distant past thru rose-colored glasses.

• blondie
    blondie

Those who don't think Rutherford was controlling have not read the WTS publications regarding the elective elders or the accounts of his interaction with people at Bethel.

Of all the WTS presidents, he was the most controlling.

Blondie

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think there was a sort of easing-up right about the time the "Elder" and "Governing Body" arrangement came about. Remember how they set up the "Rotation of Elders" and kind of demoted old Freddy? YHWH had directed the org to be more democratic! (yeah, right...)

But then, shortly thereafter, came a real crackdown. Probably this also had something to do with 1975, the falling away, and the famous apostacy era of 1980-1981. Freddy was back, and this time he was really pissed off...

I was out by 1981, and from what I am reading here about conventions, badges, the elder secret spycraft, etc., it seems that I would not even recognize today's organization.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

When I began to feel guilty for taking care of me and my family over appearing at the meetings and looking good to others.

Also, when insignificant things came to the forefront..........wearing all the appropriate clothing, getting to the meetings, studying, conventions, informal witnessing, family study........too showy of a car......do i think about materialism too much........

when i used to be more focused on helping others, world peace, comforting, hugging, laughing........loving

purps

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

From what I've read of jw history it started with Rutherford, got a lot worse with Knorr, and hasn't improved since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit