not pointing fingers

by dvw 19 Replies latest jw friends

• dvw
    dvw

first off, i want to make it clear, i am not accusing anyone of any misdeeds. there are alot of topics on here like; "show your picture, what do you do for a living?, how did you pick your screen name? etc. these are probably innocent posts by nice people. but, does anyone think they could be posted by people ( or viewed by people) who could use your info as a way to actually identify you and prove your apostasy? i really dont care myself, but some people on the forum are still active witnesses, who dont want to be df'ed because of family, etc.

again, i am not suggesting that these posts are anything other than normal curiosity. please dont infer that.

am i paranoid?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I agree with you, I've been away so very long that I really don't care, but yeah my JW family barely talks to me as it is. ha ha ha Although nothing I've said here I would hesitate to tell them to their face.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It happens.

However, it's pretty easy to avoid. Don't give anyone any information that can harm you. simple. easy.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Those who have nothing to lose post freely, and those who have something to lose, post carefully. Everyone knows what they should, or should not post, according to their circumstances.

We are very well aware that "there are spies among us".

Warlock

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Quite a few people here have posted many times to be careful what you post, especially if you need the privicy.

Generally people are very careful but it never hurts to remind folks to be cautious.

Welcome to the forum and just don't answer posts that requests info that you don't want family or rlders to know about.

People have been outted in the past and you never know when or if it would happen again.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

You are paranoid, but so am I. That’s why I usually refrain from replying to those posts. I even refrain from posting some experiences I’ve had because I don’t want to be identified. I’ve gone as far as altering a few inconsequential details just in case someone may be able to identify me (kind of like TV shows or articles where the names and places are changed to protect the innocent).

• In Between
    In Between

I'm the one who came up with the 'screen name' thread and I can tell you in all honesty that it was just curiosity on my part. I have nothing to hide, so that's even why I went first. I don't think there is anything in a person's screen name that can give away their identity unless they post their full name.

I belong to several message boards, not all religious in nature, and this was a popular question on both of them ... so I asked it here.

Like some others have said ... if you don't feel confortable sharing something, don't post in the thread.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

dvw,

That is a good point, something I've never thought about, but certainly possible. Being out now I don't care so much myself, but it is definitely something for those who are still in to think about.

As has been said before, "Dear Jehovah, protect me from your witnesses..."

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I certaintly hope so. That's the only reason I post on those threads hopein' someone reconizes me.

lisa

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I certaintly hope so. That's the only reason I post on those threads hopein' someone reconizes me.

lisa

Same here, lisa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit