I Need Help!

by Morocco 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Morocco
    Morocco

Wow, good response from everyone, thanks for the interest. You've all given me a square one. I know that equating independent thinking with Satan is the Society's way of saying “follow us blindly and don't look at the past” but to me it seems that God would want independent thinkers. How are we to “put all things to the test” if we don't think critically? How are we to “watch out” for those wolves in sheep's clothing if we don't have independence of thought? Also, to say that God reveals truths little by little may be true. However he does not reveal something that is contradictory to the eventual truth and then allow a time where people are affected in negative ways by it before fixing it. If THAT is God then I don't want God in my life.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Morocco,

Welcome!!!! I have to go to work now, but I would like to send you some scriptures later...Just remember, Jehovah gave us a brain for a reason! You are doing the right thing in examining what you believe! After all, if it is indeed truth, after a thorough examination, you will be even more faith strengthened by the examination process. Jehovah says to "make sure of all things."-1 Thess. 5:21. I look forward to more of your posts!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

just thought of another one....

2 Timothy 1:7 (King James Version)

7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Didnt Jesus tell his followers to "keep on knocking and keep on seeking and it will be opened to you?" He didnt say hey..once you become a Christian you can stop doubting the stuff you are hearing and reading, and also you dont have to continue to seek or knock because everything will be crystal clear to you at that point. He ALWAYS told his followers to be cautious to test to question to continue to learn.

The Watchtower's contention is that the Bereans were NOT Christians yet and so their testing of everything to see if it was in the scriptures was allowed...but once you are a JW you must STOP testing and checking because to do so would indicate that you are questioning GOD HIMSELF and questioning those whom He supposedly put in charge of giving you your food...and therefore to do research on what you read in the mags would be apostate. "A TRUE Christian wouldnt doubt what they read in Jehovahs spiritual banquet now WOULD they?" they say condescendingly.

Talk about locking up your cult members. What did the guy who was the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz say to conceal his true wimpy powerful identity? He tried to SCARE them with lighting! Thunder! Fire! Smoke! Scary GODHEADS speaking in LOUD SCARY VOICES!! "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! IIIIII AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!"

And just like the Wizard, the true identity of the Society is revealed. They are nothing. And NO ONE needs them to follow their own spiritual journey.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

PS. Look up the Society's thoughts on screaming when you are raped and see how many times the LIGHT was on then off, then on then off then on....

Also whether or not Soddom and Gomorrah would be ressurected...yes, no , yes? well...no...well maybe yes.....

God who NEVER CHANGES??? is sending these mixed, confusing teachings to his people?? Does God have a big ol bumper sticker on his chariot that says "Dont follow me...Im lost too." ???

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

With regards to the New Light doctrine, JWs often draw this comparison between themselves and the unfulfilled expectations of the 1st century apostles.

Is this comparison accurate? The following is a post of mine from an old thread (Why do JW's elders act like their failed predictions is no big deal?) :

WTS predictions were in black and white, clear for all of "God's household" to see. Then the rank and file of the time were often shown the method of calculating such dates, expected to incorporate such dates into their belief system, and to make serious changes in their lives in light of the impending end.

By contrast, all a JW can scripturally point to is the fact that the apostles in Jesus' day either had preconceived notions of God's plan

"11 While they were listening to these things he spoke in addition an illustration, because he was near Jerusalem and they were imagining that the kingdom of God was going to display itself instantly" - Luke 19:11

"6 When, now, they had assembled, they went asking him: "Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?" 7 He said to them: "It does not belong to YOU to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction" - Acts1:6,7

or were aware that their knowledge was incomplete

"9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; 10 but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with." - 1 Corinthians 13:9,10

UNLIKE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, the apostles didn't write Gospels or letters to publish such tentative ideas and pass them off as divine secrets. The record shows that the only time their ideas were verbalized was to their Teacher, the purpose of which was to confirm, not inform. Consequently they also did not have to write new Gospels or letters to explain the errors in their "expectations". No apostle had to excuse his backflip by sheepishly quoting Proverbs 4:18, using terms like "new light " and "old light". As far as they were concerned, you were either in the light, or you're in the dark.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum, Morocco! INQ

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI ryan and welcome!

• huntley
    huntley

'New Light' The idea is based on an interpretation of Prov,4:18,which reads'but the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established' In context this is not a justification for doctrinal changes,but rather a contrast with 'the path of the wicked' (verse 14).'the way of the wicked is as darkness,they know not at what they stumble'.Essential to the theory of 'light getting brighter' is the obvious requirment that any light from God must true, regardless of whether it is old light or new light since Jesus Christ is 'the way the truth and the life.

• mdb
    mdb

Test everything...

These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. (Acts 17:11)

Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified. (2 Cor 13:5)

Test all things; hold fast what is good. (1 Thess 5:21)

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 Jn 4:1)

You don't need the WTBTS to understand the Scriptures, only His annointing - the Holy Spirit...

and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (2 Tim 3:15)

These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. (1 Jn 2:26)

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. (Jn 14:26)

I don't recall where I got the reference below. It might have been on this forum somewhere...

If you are a Witness and feel guilty about looking into the Organization then the following Watchtower statement should put you at ease.

Watchtower May 1 1958 p.261 Is Your Religion the Right One?

“It is important, then, that you "keep testing whether you are in the faith," as Paul declared. Keep checking to see whether the things you believe are in keeping with God's Word. But the question is, Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to light and life. - Isa 8:20, Dy; 2 Cor 13:5”

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi huntley and welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit