I Need Help!

by Morocco 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Morocco
    Morocco

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping someone could help me with some reasoning here. I notice in the Watchtowers they mention that on occasion people fall into the "trap" of "independent thinking" and this is often associated with pride and a misunderstanding of God. Also just as frequently it mentions that God progressively reveals truths to his followers. And I've noticed they usually refer to Proverbs 4:18 where it says "18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established" This is, I believe, where they get their "new light" theory. On both of these topics I need help on showing from the Bible how God, not only does not progressively reveal truth, but also how independent thinking is not something to be considered evil. I know in my heart and with reasoning that the demonization of free thought and the idea that truth is revealed in steps must be incorrect but I am looking for a, hopefully existent, sound scriptural piece that will allow me to back up my reasoning. Thanks in advance! ryan[/i]

• Emma
    Emma

Welcome to the forum; there are a lot of intelligent posters here who are sure to be of help. Hang on!

Emma

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Hi and WELCOME! I've never been a JW, so my "independent thinking" was never compromised. One of my favorite scriptures on independent thought is:

1 Thessalonians 5:21Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

There were some good points raised on this thread: Defeating 'New Light' doctrine... How?

I can promote the thread even though it's mine since all the "good points" were raised by others. I only asked the question. :-)

Dave

• bebu
    bebu

Hi Morocco, and WELCOME to the board!

Not aware of any verses that would support their interpretation. "The path of the righteous shines ever brighter till the full light of day" doesn't mean things shape shift. If you see an object in dim light and first understand that it is a person, more light could reveal further details such that it is a woman... with black hair... Chinese... with red painted nails... etc. (increasing details with more light). But in the WTS usage, they declare in dim light to "see" an American astronaut (lots of details from the start)... and then, with "more light" claim it is a businesswoman... then a Japanese ninja... In the full sun, however, everyone can clearly see that the "astronaut" is simply a jersey cow, munching grass.

One verse that could help you is: The first to present his case seems right until another comes forward and questions him. (Prov 18:17)

IOW, there needs to be a cross-examination, and I would consider that an essential part of "testing all things."

bebu

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks for adding that thread, AA. I think there was also another one within the last couple of months that Leo commented on, which was quite helpful too. If anyone knows which one that is, I hope s/he could add it.

bebu

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Don't be carried away by various and strange teachings, for it is good that the heart be established by grace, not by food, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited. World English Bible

Jesus never changed from an angel, to a man, to a vaporous spirit being. He is who he always was, the Word of God.

"for it is good that the heart be established by grace" Grace does not exist in the New World JW bible.

"food"=religious ceremony

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome Morocco, you bring up some great points free thinking is perfectly valid and desirable before God and the WTS is afraid that with a little search its members will realise that their dogmas are basically lies.

As for the increasing light, that refers to the way of life of the righteous rather than the dogmas of an organisation.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

independant thinking.... as opposed to what? dependant thinking? is that really thinking at all? or just agreeing blindly?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    independant thinking.... as opposed to what? dependant thinking? is that really thinking at all? or just agreeing blindly?

Good point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit