What religion are you... if any?

by Effervescent 38 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No religion, and I'm athiest.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I consider myself to be a liberal Christian, i.e. someone who can relate to the rather radical teaching of Christ. However, I don't have a religion, after all Jesus was a Jew but did not exactly see eye to eye with its practioners.
    Eyeslice

• apfergus
    apfergus

I am secular humanist. Which is an atheist religion--atheism itself not being a religion. "Saying that atheism is a religion is like saying not collecting stamps is a hobby."

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    "Saying that atheism is a religion is like saying not collecting stamps is a hobby."

But I'm a non-stamp collector... you saying I ain't got a hobby? <grin>

• Warlock
    Warlock

I heard somewhere that "Religion is a Snare and a Racket". So that's where I stand at the moment.

Warlock

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I have no religion, and I don't want one at the moment. I would describe myself as an agnostic, with leanings towards atheism.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BrendaCloutier:

Athiesm can be considered a religion, especially when the athiest is passionate and into proving their point.

Not easily. The only reasonable definition of religion from dictionary.com that can possibly apply to atheism is the last (and therefore least common) definition:

A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

And in that case anything from football to stamp collecting to vegetarianism can be considered a religion. While some people may watch EastEnders religiously, that is not normally what we mean when we talk about a religion. It would be considered ridiculous if someone were to answer the question "What religion are you?" with "Fisherman" or "Man. Utd. supporter".

Spirituality is a different matter.

Different from atheism, certainly. But I see it as pretty much the same as religion or superstition.

Even though I believe in The Christ, I consider myself a pagan/panthiest by label who belives in the ultimate "Oneness" of everything.

And that's your religion. It mightn't have a name but it's definitely a set of religious beliefs, corresponding closely with the first definition of religion given by dictionary.com:

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

Apostate Kate:

However, I found a close personal relationship with Jesus has nothing to do with religion.

stillconcerned:

Christian. (alive and passionate, but NOT 'religious'...)

yucca:

Its all about a relationship with Jesus. Not religionous doctrines.

eyeslice:

I consider myself to be a liberal Christian, i.e. someone who can relate to the rather radical teaching of Christ. However, I don't have a religion,

I have to admit I find it amazing how many Christians claim adamantly that they don't have a religion when clearly they do (while atheists who definitely don't have a religion are accused of having one). Is it a Rutherfordesque dislike of the word religion, or is it a new teaching of one or more sects of the Christian religion?

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Anymore the word "religion" seems to hava a negative connotation that a lot of Christians want to steer away from. For me it brings up images of bible thumping, greed in the name of faith, and politicking.

For me, if I were to say, I belong to a "faith" or have a Christian belief system, but aren't religious, it means I don't feel the need to conform to a set list of dogmas, and I won't try to cram my beliefs down anyones throat. I've gone to several different churches and enjoyed them all for different reasons. It's more about that internal relationship and joy than any definition or label one might put on your beliefs.

Really, it's just words and how a person feels when they hear that word. In the end, it's all just personal preference.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Heya FunkyD - how are you?? I hope you had a good trip back home.

BrendaCloutier:
    Athiesm can be considered a religion, especially when the athiest is passionate and into proving their point.
    Not easily. The only reasonable definition of religion from dictionary.com that can possibly apply to atheism is the last (and therefore least common) definition:
    A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
    And that was my point on Athiesm and AA having religious-like connotations. Going back to dictonary.com description, yes, I have a belief structure. However, I do not gather with others who share similar belief structures, nor do I serve the god(s)/dess because I believe they are not beings to be served nor desirous of such devotion, contrary to most "wo/man's" teachings. So I am non-religious. So I reinforce that I have a spiritual belief structure without the need for a "religious" environment.

To bind or return to bondage–an alternate interpretation of the "reconnection" etymology emphasizing a sense of servitude to God, this may have originated with Augustine. However, the interpretation, while popular with critics of religion, is often considered imprecise and possibly offensive to followers.

Concerning a gathering — from Latin res (ablative re, with regard to) + legere (to gather), since organized religion revolves around a gathering of people.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

One nice thing about my own 'freedom' is that I can investigate or explore different religions & spiritual paths without feeling pressured or obligated to identify myself with any one of them in particular. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now it is a relief just to be able to read, ponder, & especially THINK ON MY OWN without being fenced in..

While I very definitely have my spiritual 'preferences' (i.e., the Toltec concepts of the 'spiritual warrior,' as written about by Castaneda & others, are especially empowering for me), I try always to keep in mind something I once gleaned from Buddhism, "Open to everything, but attached to nothing.." Which partly means that on Sundays when I am not hiking, I could end up anywhere from an Orthodox Church, a synagogue, a Buddhist temple, or being moved to tears at a Native American powwow. I can also read books on Huna (ancient Hawaiian spirituality) or African religions & gain insights I didn't think possible..

One of the very few conclusions I have arrived at for myself is that however we got here (whether by creation or the Big Bang, or whatever you choose to believe), people of every color & culture in history have had something to say, a story to tell, or something to contribute towards solving the eternal puzzle of who we are & where we are going (kind of like a world quilt). I think that as a brainwashed JW, another one of the burning issues or questions I always had (but kept well under wraps!!) was what the contribution of other world cultures was during the time the Bible was written. Now I have the privilege to embark upon that quest for myself..

My best wishes for the religious and/or spiritual growth of everyone here, & thank you all for helping me along on my own journey..

Peace,

DesertRat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit