What religion are you... if any?

by Effervescent 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Interesting little flashy thingie, toolie on USA Today (See how professional I sound?)

http://www.usatoday.com/graphics/news/gra/gnoreligion/flash.htm

Interesting results in New York.... where the world wide headquarters of JWs resides...

It's interesting to see how JW's barely register on the radar, if at all in some states. Apparently the "Good News" isn't being marketed very well....

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I didn't see my religion on there...

The Church of the Vertical Smile....

• Legolas
    Legolas

NONE!

I don't believe in the bible!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Atheist.

What about you effervescent?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thank you Crumpet. Finally someone honestly accknowledges that atheism is another religion!

carmel

• kid-A
    kid-A

Um, no. The very etymological definition of "religion" excludes atheism as a possible category. Nice try though! LOL

Etymology

The English word clearly derives from the Latin religio, "reverence (for the gods)" or "conscientiousness". The origins of religio, however, are obscure. Proposed etymological interpretations include:

From Relego
    • Re-reading–from Latin re (again) + lego (in the sense of "read"), referring to the repetition of scripture.
    • Treating carefully–from Latin re (again) + lego (in the sense of "choose"–this was the interpretation of Cicero) "go over again" or "consider carefully".

From Religare
    • Re-connection to the divine–from Latin re (again) + ligare (to connect, as in English ligament). This interpretation is favoured by modern scholars such as Tom Harpur, but was made prominent by St. Augustine, following the interpretation of Lactantius.
    • To bind or return to bondage–an alternate interpretation of the "reconnection" etymology emphasizing a sense of servitude to God, this may have originated with Augustine. However, the interpretation, while popular with critics of religion, is often considered imprecise and possibly offensive to followers.

From Res + legere
    • Concerning a gathering — from Latin res (ablative re, with regard to) + legere (to gather), since organized religion revolves around a gathering of people.
  • Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Catholic

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I gave up religion when I gave up trying to be a good little JW.

However, I found a close personal relationship with Jesus has nothing to do with religion. Although I do cherish non denomination church services. I adore music worship. My husband plays keyboards in a praise band.

The message of the Bible is not evil, is it a simple story of God's enduring love for His creations. A story of redemption and sacrifice. A Light in a sometimes very dark world.

My favorite church services are Calvary Chapel style services. Music worship is great and contemporary, very little religiousness, no dress code, no requirments. It is "come as you are".

www.calvarychapel.com

• Nowman
    Nowman

I always feel un-nerved when I overhear, or I am flipping through the channels on the TV and something is being said about religion or God. I instantly shut my mind off or turn the channel as if I am going to get a disease. Maybe I have a fear of being brainwashed again. I consider myself an agnostic and I like it.

Nikki

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Also community service is always a part of church. Calvary Chapels and other churches like them almost always have charities in their communities. It provides a great way to make a difference. There are all types of community services offered from food banks, to care packages sent overseas to active military personal. There are helping hands type ministries for shut ins, single parents, transportation, free drug rehab clinics, the list goes on and on. I needed help moving once when I was single and they came out and moved me. I needed food once and they gave me food and store coupons, no questions asked. They even have bus tickets to send people home if they find themselves in need of getting across the country. You don't have to be a memeber of the church to get help.

So you see churches are not like Kingdom Halls. Most churches are faith in action.

Anyway, now you know what my idea of church even is. I love church gatherings, but detest religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit