Non-JW asks: Why do JWs allow drinking? But forbid Birthdays?

by whyizit 18 Replies latest jw friends

• willy_think
    willy_think

Dude they are only against birthdays because it makes them different (better) then the rest of the sinful satin lead Christian churches. But the real reason is that the WT is just another cult doing cult stuff. If it is in the bible good if not that’s ok too, it’s all about control not Christ. Don’t let the smoke and mirrors fool you words are only words.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

From Rutherford's Prohibition & League of Nations booklet, 1930.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Keg party with Da Judge!!

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

What I believed growing up was that birthdays are primarily for children, so suck their fun and condemn everything else a child would enjoy in the process. The adults like a drink, so they'll allow that, because the adults make the rules.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I knew of several people over the years who got df'd for drunkenness. I think the general principle is to drink in moderation and what one man deems "too many" to him may be okay for another. We are Irish and I grew up with alcohol on the table even as a kid I was given my own little glass of home made wine.

As for birthdays, well as one friend of mine said that JWs are anti-fun, so anything that is fun is a no no. So eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we shall all die a horrible death at armageddon but thank god there is no burning hell fire!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My parents think I live a life of debauchary but they have a full bar in their home. Know what I got? Two bottles of wine. That's it. 2 bottles that I have had for about 2 years now. The last time I when to a bar or club? Over four years ago. The last time I had a drink? Around Christmas. I remember driving with my mother who just got pulled over by a cop and mother hands me a glass of volka that she had just been sipping so that I could hide it under the seat. I've never done that with my kids and never plan to but my mother did that all the time. And I'm the evil worldly one?

Josie

• garybuss
    garybuss

The answer to every question about Jehovah's Witness beliefs and practices, is:
    "Because God lives in Brooklyn.".

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Why hasn't the WTS nipped the drinking in the bud?***
    Because alcohol is the only thing that gets them through their miserable WTS-controlled day.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

The majority of JW alcoholics that I know in our area are the elder's, ministerial servants and their wives. So who you gonna tell?

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit