Non-JW asks: Why do JWs allow drinking? But forbid Birthdays?

by whyizit 18 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

My JW friend recently condemned birthdays using two scriptures that spoke of evil men killing people on their birthdays. Seems to me that the men were evil, not the birthdays. Today is my birthday. (I didn't be-head anyone.) In fact, I have never been to a birthday celebration where this occurred. Didn't ever bow down and pray or worship the birthday boy or girl either. That would be idolatry.

Any how, I just wondered....

I'm not a JW, never have been, but have some JW friends. Amazingly, every single one of them drinks alcohol. I found this fascinating, in view of the fact that many people in the Bible did some pretty bad things, because of drinking.

Noah cursed his son for making fun of him passing out naked, Lot committed incest with his own daughters, Absalom got his brother drunk and killed him, etc......

Yea, I know. Jesus made wine. But does the Bible ever say He promoted intoxication? I only ask this, because it really doesn't make sense. There are far more Scriptures warning about alcohol abuse than there are birthday be-headings. Why hasn't the WTS nipped the drinking in the bud? I was designated driver for my JW friend last night, so she could have a few whiskey and Cokes. My other JW friend never misses a marguerita Monday.

I really looked into this subject in the Bible and the only place that condones the use of alcohol says you can use it for medicinal purposes, and you can have a "little". I don't think my JW buddies are drinking for "medicinal" reasons, and they are definitely drinking more than a "little".

Just wondered if you had any thoughts on this subject. Did you find drinking to be an issue in your congregation, or are the JW alcohol consumers primarily in Indiana?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Just wondered if you had any thoughts on this subject. Did you find drinking to be an issue in your congregation, or are the JW alcohol consumers primarily in Indiana?

It's an 'unspoken' issue with them every where I've lived as a jw. They almost have to consume alcohol to deaden their mental pain.

I know from experience. Almost as soon as I escaped the jw cult the drinking stopped completely.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Isn't that funny ? The bible clearly says a drunkerd cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven but no where does it say if you have a birthday party your going to hell does it ?

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

My brother in law was raised a Dub and is a big time drinker, when I asked my mother If she thought he drank too much and she replied, " If it wasn't for the truth, ### would be an alchoholic". I can't see why he can't be both.

Mr. Stealyourface.

• VM44
    VM44

Because two instances are given in the Bible of evil despotic kings who, on their birthdays, ordered the beheadings of some people, the Watchtower concludes that Birthdays are shown in a bad light in the Bible and are not to be celebrated.

I have never understood how the Watchtower could logically make that conclusion. It seems to me that both stories are indicating how evil both kings were, by ordering such a thing on what should be a deay of celebration.

It would be more logical to conclude that evil, despotic kings should not be allowed to celebrate their birthdays, as bad things might come about if they did!

Actually, Rutherford did not want any recognition given to individuals, except, of course, if the individual was Rutherford. Hence he was against Mother's Day, Father's Day, Birthdays, and anything else that brought attention to a person.

It is very interesting to note that the 100th anniversity of The Watchtower Corporation was commemorated by a day of special talks. A special brouchure was even printed and is contained on the Watchtower Library CD.

So observing the 1000th "Birthday" of the Watchtowe is OK, but observing people's birthdays is not.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

"So observing the 1000th "Birthday" of the Watchtowe is OK..."

ARGAAAAHHH! 1000 years of the Watchtower!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

What a horrible thought!

--VM44

• Arthur
    Arthur

Jehovah's Witnesses also point to some ancient cultures that celebrated a child's birth as part of pagan religious customs. Some cultures (I believe the ancient Celtics, but I could be wrong) presented babies with gifts as superstitous acts to ward off evil spirits who wanted to harm the child. This does however present some confusion because the accounts of Job describe him as celebrating his own birthday. There were also some ancient cultures who wore wedding rings as part of pagan religious custom, but JWs do not see anything wrong with wearing them.

As far as alcohol is concerned, the JW faith is not as monolithic as you might think. I have known of a few members who claim that Christians should abstain from alcohol entirely; but they are in the minority. There are both teetotalers, and there are those who are quite liberal with alcohol. The JWs are routinely warned about overindulgence through talks and Watchtower articles.

The prevailing view of the Witnesses is what you already pointed out. The Apostle Paul talked about the moderate use of alcohol and the Old Testament speaks of servants enjoying wine. Drunkeness is however condemned in the Bible, and is not acceptable in the JW faith. (Although the accounts of Lot and Noah getting drunk is perplexing isn't it?) If the congregation elders knew that your friends were getting drunk, disciplinary actions would surely be taken. I have known several individuals who were publicly reproved and even disfellowshipped for repeated drunkeness.

• VM44
    VM44

Hayden Covington, the famous Watchtower lawyer, was disfellowhsipped because he was an alcoholic. He was later reinstated.

Rutherford was said to be drunk on many occasions, but as he was the president of the Watchtower corporation, people looked the other way and covered up for him.

--VM44

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Rutherford was said to be drunk on many occasions, but as he was the president of the Watchtower corporation, people looked the other way and covered up for him.

Who else but a drunk; would build a mansion in San Diego to house Moses?

• mama1119
    mama1119

All of the JW I knew and associated with were big ole drinkers!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit