Multitrack audio recording in the basement

by Twitch 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Twitch
    Twitch

One of my hobbies is recording original music with either of the two bands i play in. I've got a Roland SI24 8 track interface/control surface and use Sonar on the PC, various plugins (Waves Native Bundle DX plugins for mixing and Isotope Ozone for mastering)
    Just finished one CD for one project with another in the mastering stage. I'm thinking of switching software to Cubase or perhaps ProTools (SI24 supports both protoccols)
    Anyone out there have the same hobby? What do u use/recommend/advise against in terms of software? Pro and cons. How bout tips and tricks for mixing and mastering?

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Dude you sound like a busy guy!! Don`t know much about it myself, but the hubby`s a musician! He talks about doing recording all the time with this friend of his who has equipment at his home. It sounds fun and exciting from some of the results they get!

• Confession
    Confession

Twitch,

I have a recording studio too, but not because I'm a musician. I'm a voice talent and producer of radio commercials and "audio for video." I use Digidesign's Pro-Tools along with the Digi002 Rack for recording and mixing. I've used other software in the past, but Pro-Tools is (I believe) the best functioning and most intuitive. It's pretty much the gold standard. Your mileage may vary.

Confession

• JohnnyMarr
    JohnnyMarr

I try to do a little recording when I get a chance. I use Cool Edit Pro, N-Track, Internet Tape Deck and Audacity for recording. For sound editing and effects I prefer to use Cool Edit Pro, for mixing I like N-Track. For recording live instruments and vocals, I like Internet Tape Deck. For the time being, I'm using FL Studio 5 as a drum machine/sequencer.

• lowden
    lowden

Twitch

I'm a musician and record my own stuff too. I use Cubase SX version one ( tried the latest version but not too keen). Pro-Tools is the way to go though as mentioned above and works best on a Mac because that's what it was designed for. I haven't got a Mac but it's the daddy for recording. Myson goes to university in September in Manchester doing a degree in Music Technology and the Perfoming Arts, using the same studios that The Smiths and The Stone Roses recorded in. Lucky sod!!! I've no doubt that he'll totally convert me to Mac and Pro-Tools after he's been there a few months. Ialso use Propellerhead Reason for my beats and loops which i think is an awesome programme. Happy music makin'.

Peace

Lowden

• NikL
    NikL

I use Adobe Premiere (formerly Cool Edit Pro). Works great for what I do. I produce radio station imaging. It is really easy to use and the features are incredible. I am not a musician though so maybe there is something out there better for that sort of thing.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I am a former semi-pro musician (jazz and blues), and am trying to get back in, but this time as a producer. I still am getting skills in all aspects, though.

I have done all styles, just about.

Wish you well in your pursuits.

Oh, the programs I use include FL Studio, Audacity, and a little, little bit of Ableton Live. Trying to get used to the weird workflow of it.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Thanks all

I am leaning towards a ProTools system but I have a PC and am not sure if it'll run on that platform. I'm not serious enough about it to justify shelling out for a Mac at this point though as the current system will run about 24 tracks before real time FX start to max out the CPU and dropouts start.

'preciate the input, (no pun intended)

• Confession
    Confession

Twitch,

I know Mac sentiment runs high, but I'd encourage you to speak with any Digidesign dealer about this. It is perfectly true that Pro-Tools (really any early digital recording/mixing software) was originally designed for Macs. But most of the truly objective dealers will admit that today it's six of one, half dozen of the other. My Pro-Tools system runs on PC and works beautifully.

I am not commenting on the general pros and cons of Mac vs. PC. Only the fact that recording technology has caught up, and Pro-Tools will work just lovely on a PC.

Confession

• Twitch
    Twitch

Cool,

Thx Confession

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit