I'm a nervous wreck! (rant)

by MsMcDucket 28 Replies latest social family

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

So sorry to hear of your mom's health issues and your too ((((hugs))))

I am glad you stood your ground and waited before making any decisions. I went thru a similiar thing when my mom was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer in 1997, the drs. gave up on her and sent her home to die giving her only three months if that to live. She died in late 2001 and that was due to our family giving her some care against Drs. orders and not giving up so soon. They can make mistakes sometimes and I feel the family knows their loved one better than anyone else does.

You and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers and I hope all works out well for you. Lilly

• damselfly
    damselfly

That's awful that it managed to grow back that large before anyone noticed it!

And thank goodness she is coming around and is not in a vegatative state. Scary stuff!

Dams

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

(((MsMcDucket)))

So sorry to hear you are going through this.

I will be thinkig of you.

love

Linda

• arwen
    arwen

Just hang in there girl, sometimes you have to go with your gut decision even if it is against the docs. Your courage made a difference. Keeping you and your mom in my prayers today. Love Arwen

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

re: Are you saying then that your thyroid problem is hereditary?

Iodine deficiency gives rise to goiter. Adding small amounts of iodine to table salt (known as iodized salt) helps prevent goitre.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Omigosh, Ms. McDucket! What a scare and bully for you for standing up to the doctors!!! You are a hero!

It might be that the tumor is very fast-growing -- cells sub-dividing at an extremely accelerated rate. Otherwise, how could it be obstructing her airway so much that a pediatric tube was used for airflow? Nonetheless, switching endocrinologists might be a good decision...

Wishing your mother a complete recovery and yourself the answers to your concerns.

out

• outnfree
    outnfree

And finding a surgeon for yourself, should the time come, who is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons:

http://www.facs.org/public_info/yourhealth/findadoc.html

Good luck!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    That's my EXACT thoughts. How did they miss it? How come they weren't checking it? What type of thyroidism does she have? How does this affect the family?

I just thought that it was a plain old goiter, and that it had been fixed. Now, it's a whole different thing!? Someone wasn't doing the proper testing for a person who has had a partial thyroidectomy.

It sounds like it is time to consult an attorney. Seriously. I would petition for her medical records, all of them......the hospital as well as her original records from the surgery sixteen years ago.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Mom's surgery is today. They will be doing a sternotomy (cracking open her sternum) to get to the mass. The doctors say that she may have tracheomalasia (softened and floppy trachea) as well, if so, they will have to anastomose (cut the bad part out and reconnect it to the other end) it.

I haven't been able to sleep all weekend. The surgery is at 11a.m. The cardiothoracic surgeon's name is Richard S. Toon.

He must be a pretty good surgeon to be mentioned on the web for silly lawsuits. It's about his wife trying to sue another man. . . but I digress. . .anyway. . .

I'll be leaving for the hospital around 9 a.m.

• unique1
    unique1

I am sorry to hear that you and your family are having to deal with this. Best Wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit