Distric Convention

by lost_light06 24 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi ridgerunner & welcome!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was in New York Yankee Stadium and Polo Grounds in 1958. I was 14. It sucked green tomatoes. Yup! 9 am till 9 pm, 8 days of hell. I'd rather be dead than go through that again. The seats were like rocks and we sat out in the sun every day all day. Sunday overflow crowds sat out on the playing field.
    I'd bet Knorr and Franz didn't sit on a hard chair in the sun all day and eat slop standing up three meals a day for 8 days.
    I'm gonna see if I can find my pictures of that mess.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I was in New York Yankee Stadium and Polo Grounds in 1958. I was 14. It sucked green tomatoes. Yup! 9 am till 9 pm, 8 days of hell. I'd rather be dead than go through that again. The seats were like rocks and we sat out in the sun every day all day.

Wow, I used to complain because we had to sit in the sun from 9am to 4pm for only four days at Jack Murphy Stadium. You guys were troopers back then.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Women had to remove their shoes so as not to hurt the sod.

This is one of many pictures I took. It's a picture of a slide printed and scanned.

• Taythan
    Taythan

The longest conventions I can remember were 4 or 5 days at McNicolls arena in Denver Colorado back in the 80's. I remember watching the digital clock and falling into mind numbing coma's being awoken briefly by clapping ticking another symposium off on the list. Those were some warm summers too the clock would flash the temp. to and it would frequently reach 103 at the height of the day......and don't forget to pack down an extra danish in the morning because you don't want to eat the hoagies!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome Taythan!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

1970,Seven days. Ok Blueblades, your the Captain of the pre - assembly cleaning crew. Wow! What a priviledge that was cleaning the stadium and all those toilets. Building and setting up the tents for the food stations. Eating standing up, move along now , move along now, the lines were endless. It was a great vacation!

Blueblades

• uninformed
    uninformed

I remember well,

Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium, 8days in the sun.

Three people died, two at the hands of rapist out side the stadium.

the black panthers reportedly tried to take over the money in accounting, but the black brothers reportedly told them that water was thicker than blood.

Re: tailgate parties--Absolutely not allowed. WT does not want anyone to enjoy any part of the assembly.

Brant

• xjwms
    xjwms

Oh Gawd

I just can't see me dressing up and driving for two hours to go and listen.............to the same thing?

My wife is going....but on the bus with a bunch who won't drive either.

another free weekend...yes....I'll just end up working or something.......that could be a good time to finish paper work ''OR''

have the family over and cook out... and play cards... and drink and drink some more.....what to do, what to do.....

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Was at Yankee Stadium in 1963, and again in 65 and 67, I think. In 1969 was definitely there for all8 days, 9 to 9. What an exhausting week. I was a teenager at the time, and remember being with a group of young brothers, and we'd laugh at how we'd fall asleep and hear the speaker saying the most obscene things. Hallucinating out of exhaustion.

In '69 the four of us young brothers traveling together all went down to the Village and saw the concert at Fillmore East. I went back down into the Village with other friends later that week during the convention! It was easy to not be noticed as gone in that crowd!

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit