Did you think that you knew more ?

by A Paduan 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

I suspect that those of us who were raised in probably were more likely to suffer from this affliction. No?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    I will honestly say that I never, not even one time, met anyone at the door, knew anyone at work who knew the Bible better than me.

Maybe they were the ones who simply said "no thanks"

• Warlock
    Warlock

That very well could be.

Warlock

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

My mother was a pioneer before I was born back in the late 60's. I always admired her ability to recall and find just the right scripture for whatever point was being discussed. I never quite reached that level even though in the door to door I could give quite a scriptural presentation of JW doctrine straight from the Bible, using the concordance in the back as necessary to place a scripture that was 'in my head'. It was indeed rare to find someone who could hold their own in a discussion, and then only because that particular person must have had the time to argue with us. The usual sticking points involved literal versus figurative interpretations of things like the Rich Man and Lazarus or the Trinity.
    I did read the Bible through to the end once. I have read many books several times. When I was bored at the meetings, I would sometimes pick a book and start reading. So, yes, I thought that I did know more than those in Christendom. Interestingly, even though I no longer accept the Bible as the infallible word of a god, I am still reading it and studying it from a secular, historical point of view. I now see the accumulated writings of the WTS as wholy lacking in scolarship, too. A house of cards.
    Dave

• raspberrysun
    raspberrysun

Hello:

Has anyone ever seen the sit-com, Dharma and Greg? On one episode, Dharma (28-years-old) sits in on a college history class. She participates enthusiastically as she is confident that her home-school history lessons from her father have made her learned. Within the class session she realizes that her aged hippie father has indoctrinated her with conspiracy theories and drug-induced delusions but little actual history. She has to reexamine her whole belief system to sort the reality from the fiction.

I was reared a JW. I knew the Bible the same way that Dharma knew history.

• anewme
    anewme

Yup, knew more than the pope and all of them put together I thought. (good grief)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

As a jw, were you convinced that you knew more theologically than "those in christendom", yet hadn't really even read the bible ?

Yes, but then I had read and studied the bible multiple times and also read the Koran and the book of Mormon and other religious books and philosophies etc. I used to brag that I could out argue and catholic priest or one from Protestantism. But I was also told it was not about winning arguments but about winning hearts

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi. I sure thought so. I knew way more about our history and doctrine than anyone else at the hall. It's one of the things that made me say to myself "I think I smell a rat." I ended up going to Bible collge for several years after my disappearing act. I was and am still technically a JW but I know now it's just an outlandishly weird cult. No, I'm not and never was an elder.

EB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit