Did you think that you knew more ?

by A Paduan 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

As a jw, were you convinced that you knew more theologically than "those in christendom", yet hadn't really even read the bible ?

More than say, a monk who over a thousand years ago hand wrote one, and read it everyday ?

• Spectre
    Spectre

*raises hand*

• blondie
    blondie

I knew more than some, less than others.......

I definitely knew that I knew more than 95% of the JWs; but that wasn't much of an accomplishment and certainly didn't get me to leave any sooner.

I think people in other religions are similiar in that some study and some don't; some are more there for the social things. I do think that the study groups in churches resemble more the ones in the days of Russell. They read the scriptures and explained them using other scriptures not WT publications. I have met some ministers that give great practical sermons and use the Bible very skillfully.

Blondie

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I was told that we knew more and therefore I believed it. Just like everything else. Hook Line and Sinker...

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

For sure.

How silly of me.

• Confession
    Confession
    As a jw, were you convinced that you knew more theologically than "those in christendom"?

Yes I did. I remember when I was very young my mother studying with me from the "Paradise Restored" book. I recall "learning" about how the Trinity doctrine was (as I was taught) false. I saw what seemed to be the simple truth on this subject and marveled at how the vast majority of the Christian world somehow still believed in it. Discussions with people suggested that the majority really had very little understanding of the Bible. This just made me feel that I/we knew more, cared more, understood more.

This would be the pattern of thought I would use for the next thirty years every time I wondered...

"Is it really true that out of all the people on earth, we are the only ones with the Truth?"

Sometimes I would be struck with incredulity over this. But then I would remember: we know more, we care more, we understand more... Satan has sadly blinded their minds.

So I was wrong...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Sure, had the books of the Bible memorized, the order I mean. Was a Bible expert. Found out that I was merely a parrot and a silly man.

Jehooba's Witnoids had me right by the intellect.

Poop.

W.Once

• free2beme
    free2beme

I still think I know more then most, when it comes to history and stuff. As I studied more then just what the Watchtower wrote to learn information, so I am not all clouded with their thoughts on the matter.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Honestly NO

My elder husband was amazing in recall what scriptures said a particular thing. He knew how to explain most things without using WT books.

I always felt like a fraud because it was rare for me to know where to find things.

If we each were given a quizz I know he would pass but I also knew I would fail miserably.

Of course I put this down to me being a dummy

• vitty
    vitty

I used to tell my kids they knew more about the bible than any minister of christendom, even the pope !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit