So hot!

by LittleToe 41 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

We regularly went in field ministry in India with temperatures of over 40 degrees C (what's that 108 degrees F?).
    The trick to survive in the heat is to take things very slow (the old pioneer walk) stop regularly to drink and don't stay out in the sun too long.
    PS - we used to wear a collar and tie even in such heat, fortunately, no suit jackets except for the memorial when we made a spcial effort and just melted.

• anewme
    anewme

What are the symptoms of heat stroke? And what do you do about it? (Just so we are all aware in case one of us succumbs to it or we see someone else suffering)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've learned something over the last few weeks... don't fight the heat.... embrace it!

In the evening I will prepare dinner and then sit outside on my patio to eat. By the time I'm finished eating I will have gotten used to the heat and when I step back into my apartment it feels very cool inside, even though the AC is struggling to keep the temp below 80 F. In doing this I get to enjoy listening to the birds and watching nature outside.

I also discovered that spending time outside in the heat doing other things has the same effect. Once your body gets used to the heat, going inside feels great. Doing this I have been able to up the thermostat on my AC to temperatures much higher than I normally keep it at.

Also, when I come in from running I take a very refreshing cold shower. This also helps a lot.

Another thing I did was I took the comforter off my bed and now I only sleep with a sheet covering me with the ceiling fan blowing.

It took a few days to get used to the changes, but now I find it quite comfortable.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Heat index is 108 here.

Just talked to My daughter in ST Louis .....a bad storm went through and left half million without power.........The people are being told to go to places with Airconditioning like Malls to stay cool. Help from four states are coming in to restore power.

I am home today from work..........havent been out..........sick from being out in it all day yesterday.......cannot tolerate it today.

purps

• frozen one
    frozen one

I can't believe nobody has tossed this out. By Nelly...

(I said)
    Its gettin hot in here (so hot)
    So take off all your clothes

I am gettin so hot, I wanna take my clothes off

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180944/its_getting_hot_in_here/

• carla
    carla

Little Toe,

Wear your kilt in Texas! A festival here had men try on kilts and they loved the 'air conditioning'!

72 is hot? Here in the midwest it is supposed to drop to the 70's soon. I can't wait.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Not only is it over 100 in the daytime, the nighttime LOW is 84! Nasty weather. Jennie and I were shopping in Austin yesterday and we were judging the shops by their air conditioning, not their wares. You should have seen what happened to the chocolate bar I mistakenly left in my overnight bag that sat in the car's trunk (boot) all day . . . not a pretty sight.

Nina

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    No offence, but I can't believe your not just slightly jealous of our glorioius weather. People pay loads for a holiday to the sun and we have it on our own doorstep.

You have to be kidding South African Beef or lucky enough not to have to work for a living - I absolutely loathe this weather. Public transport is awful in this heat- everyone smells disgusting! I can barely stay awake in the office because its too hot to sleep at night!

LOL at cruzanheart and the mushy chocolate! That'll teach you!

I keep whispering a mantra to cool me down reminding me that I will get through this hellish heat and it will be winter soon.

All the things I love about autum and winter:

Rain

Dark evening

Short days

Dark mornings

Hot water bottles in bed

Naked trees swaying in the wind

Open fires

cold clean calm clear

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Hot water bottles in bed

I should be so lucky! Wifey just puts her feet on me - and they're usually freezing!

Ian

• Robdar
    Robdar

Blessed rain is moving in even as I type this. Praise God, Praise Allah, Praise the Pink Unicorn. Sigh. It feels so good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit