Mickey Spillane dies

by Earnest 15 Replies latest jw friends

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Hi Junction-Guy,

My aunt lived in Myrtle Beach South Carolina for many years and knew Mickey Spillane personally, they attended the same kingdom hall.

My brother and sister-in-law are JWs in Myrtle Beach. They lived in Murrells Inlet for awhile. My brother took me to visit Mickey many years ago. I was just thinking that your aunt is probably around the same age as my sister-in-law. Maybe they're one and the same person. Just speculating. Frank

• Earnest
    Earnest

It seems that he stopped writing his books when he became a witness, so I don't think his conduct prior to conversion can be held against him. The website http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/spillane.htm reports that "between 1953 and 1961 Spillane stopped writing full-length novels after conversion to the Jehovah's Witnesses in 1952, and between 1973 and 1989 for sixteen years, when he advertised Miller Lite beer".

I never knew him personally so am not really in a position to defend him, but when he is unable to defend himself and not yet cold in the grave I think accusations of hypocrisy are a bit premature.

Earnest

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I wonder if Spillane returned ( or gave away ) the royalties he received from the sale of his books after he became a Witness ?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

"I wonder if Spillane returned (or gave away) the royalties he received from the sale of his books after he became a Witness ?/" Why? I'm fairly certain he cashed the checks and lived on them. He sold tens of millions of books, which I'm sure gave him a very comfortable lifestyle. I'm also fairly certain that I've seen new Spillane novels for sale long after 1953 or 1961!! S4

• blondie
    blondie

Do you think Prince now gives away the royalties for his album, 1999? Not!

• nowisee
    nowisee

i met him (bc my father knew him) at one of the big international assemblies in the late 50's. i was just a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit