Mickey Spillane dies

by Earnest 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

The Tribune-Democrat (http://www.tribune-democrat.com/feeds/apcontent/apstories/apstorysection/D8IU0M7GA.xml.txt/resources_apstoryview) reported that Mickey Spillane, the mystery writer died Monday. He was 88.

Spillane's death was confirmed by Brad Stephens of Goldfinch Funeral Home in his hometown of Murrells Inlet. Details about his death were not immediately available.

The writer, who became a Jehovah's Witness in 1951 and helped build the group's Kingdom Hall in Murrells Inlet, spent his time boating and fishing when he wasn't writing.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I remember reading some his steamy, violent novels because he was a "brother". I found them kind of like, not what I would have expected of a JW!!!

He was kind of the "Prince" of his time.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yes I well remember when the 'hero' of one of his novels nailed a mans hand to the floor of an abandoned warehouse lit the building on fire and gave the guy a ball peen hammer with which to free himself!

What fun! He gets my vote for BEST WITNESS EVER!

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Spillane was a good example of a deeply religious person ( isn't that how JW's are viewed by the general public ? ) who was in fact nothing more than a deeply ingrained hypocrite. He made use of the " us vs. them " mentality of the Witnesses to score his riches . . . just like the "Society" does to this day.

Just another JW fraud bleeding " worldy " people.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

No it wasn't satire for if it was he wouldn't have kept the money.

• blondie
    blondie

Spillane was df'd for a period in the late 50's early 60's and reinstated. Not sure of time line.

• undercover
    undercover

I met him sometime in the seventies. He went to the same District Conventions that I went to for a few years. One year we both worked in foodservice together.

He was a lot like his books...tough, but there was a gentleness there that wasn't apparent right away. I got the impression that he tired of being recognized as Mickey Spillane the writer and just wanted to be known as Brother Spillane.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

My aunt lived in Myrtle Beach South Carolina for many years and knew Mickey Spillane personally, they attended the same kingdom hall.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I remember hearing, as a youth, that Spillane was a Witness. That was the first I had heard of him. It appears from the obit that I just read that most of his crime writing pre dated his Witness days (correct me if I am wrong) Mind you, he made a good living on the royalties from "Worldly and violent entertainment"

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

No, he continued to write long after he became a JW. I think he had a home in upstate NY a few decades ago as a brother here in northern VT told me that they used to use his pool for the baptisms.

He was disfellowshipped at one time. Stacey Keach played his Mike Hammer character in a TV series, and I remember one of the shows had George Benson in it. Spillane also did those beer commercials where he played the tough guy.

I always found it interesting that he could write the way he did and stay a Witness. I understand he was counseled about it. Of course, one more part of a person's life that the elders would want to interfere with!

RIP Mickey.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit